Why's it ****ing everywhere?

Sponsored Links
You've crossed the thread on the nut.

Not to mention the flirking big king in the flexi. :LOL: :LOL:

yep - carp plastic fittings!

I don't do that type of work now, but when I did i routinely fitted a brass 1/2 "F x 1/2" M to the plastic, onto which you screw the tap connector (or that flexi fitting)

Sponsored Links
The nut doesn't look like is square on the thread, i.e cross threaded, take it off make sure the plastic thread hasn't been damaged, hold the flexi pipe square to the valve , don't let it cock over and tighten the nut again until the pipe is pulled up against the bottom of the valve inlet. You will need four arms for this, make sure the valve doesn't swivel inside the cistern at the same time.

Yep, had same problem recently with my sink fitting. Cheap crap and once it had gone on, cross threaded, it wouldn't find the proper thread thereafter. So I ended up replacing it, again, for a better one this time :evil:

Just like with metal fittings and mechanical engineering in general, once it's gone on wrong it tries to make a new thread and it's a bugger then to find the start of the original thread, unless you can run a tap or die down it... (Which don't exist for those fittings AFAIK and if they do they'd doubtless cost more than the whole job!).

Thanks chaps.

I'll report back with the results
You will probably be able to undo it, carefully persuade it to thread on straight and be ok doing it back up...

Daniel

yeah, sometimes you can remake the thread with a Stanley blade or similar just enough to start it off.

I cross threaded a couple of times in the past resulting in having to fork out for a new valve. So these days, I always fit the tap connector first if possible. It's much easier to see that it's straight when out of situ.

Its easy to remake the threads!!!!

ha ha "tap n die set" "buy a new one" (strange folk)

Simply run the check nut (the one holding the inlet valve into the cistern) back down the threads and off, it will redo the correct threads then start again.

Its easy to remake the threads!!!!

ha ha "tap n die set" "buy a new one" (strange folk)

Simply run the check nut (the one holding the inlet valve into the cistern) back down the threads and off, it will redo the correct threads then start again.
If that was a dig at me, it doesn't always work that way.

But yes, I have re-forced one on the other correctly.

But given that the OP didn't get it right first time or recognise the problem afterwards, (no disrespect), and we are trying to be honest and helpful - I was just trying to explain.

Neither you nor me are there to help. So whereas you and me might be able to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, you are not thinking of someone who posted not realising it was cross threaded in the first place. (Again, no disrespect to the OP).

It's not "easy to remake the threads" and for someone asking for help on this DIY matter; less so I would have thought....

I have had sh1te fittings which when you tighten just 'click' over at the end of their useless, cheap, thread!

I DID buy new one in my case because it WAS sh1te btw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back