Wickes 100 Bulk Head with Clear Diffuser + Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to fit the above to the inside of my garage near the door as it fits into the space perfectly and take energy saving bulbs.

My question is based on the instructions, I was going to connect it to the current MCB that supplies 3 outside lights as the is plenty of capacity (amp) wise for it. On the right hand side (lighting section) before the RCD for the mains sockets - if that makes sense.

However in the instructions state that is must be earthed (no probs) and connected to an RCD protected circuit (?).

This could be me, but I though that the RCD only protected the mains sockets and cooker etc - not the lights?

Could somebody enlighten me as I know it not correct to add the light to a MCB that carries the ring main?

Will post picture later

Cheers for help

Coops

Sponsored Links
The BS7671:2008 also know as 17th Edition requires that everything in a bathroom, Any item used outside, and any item with a plug of 20A or less plus wires buried at less than 50mm in a wall if not using special cable are protected by 30ma RCD.

Although there is not need to correct old wiring.

The BS7671:2008 also know as 17th Edition requires that everything in a bathroom, Any item used outside, and any item with a plug of 20A or less plus wires buried at less than 50mm in a wall if not using special cable are protected by 30ma RCD.

Although there is not need to correct old wiring.

I don't think that bit I've highlighted in bold is strictly true, at least not in such general terms.

In any case, you should really always follow the manufacturer's instructions, but this is more than likely just something they've put in for the sake of protecting the average DIY'er likely to install the light outside. For fixed use indoors I really don't think you should be too worried about RCD protection, unless of course it becomes a requirement due to cable burial depth, etc.

Sponsored Links
I know it not correct to add the light to a MCB that carries the ring main?
You know wrong - you could connect it to that if you want.

You'd need an FCU for it so use a DP switched one, then if it does fill with frogs you can stop it shutting your sockets down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back