wickes oak hardwood flooring with clamps,anygood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
anybody tried this metal clamping method that wickes is selling
1)What do you think about it.
2)Will the metal clips cause any problems, i guess they will stretch when the wood expands and contracts to prevent any gaps appearing. Is this better than glue on a floating floor?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/158018

Sponsored Links
Always wonder what you have to pay for those clips anyway (the product page doesn't mention it, they never do).
Junkers floors are famous for their clip-system and is so far as we know the only one that doesn't cause problems when installing. All other brands (or non-brands) have tried to jump on the bandwagon but are a disaster when you use them: clips fall out the minute you turn the board, when the floor expands the clips just 'expand' with it and refuse to 'shrink' back when the floor settles again: leaving you with gaps that don't disappear.

Simple floating method: glueing the T&G, has proven its worth for decades now, nothing wrong with that. (as long as everyone remembers that wood is wood: works and adepts to its surroundings: low air-humidity = shrinking, higher humidity: gaps disappear again (or if you're unlucky or didn't leave wide enough expansion gaps buckles the boards)

Also remember: you get what you pay for ;) But when you buy such a floor and the manufacturer recommends using clips you'll have to use them otherwise your guarantee goes straight out of the window!

Cheers wood you like,
The clips are £14.99 for 100.
I tried it out in store when no-one was looking. Clips not that strong, did'nt really pull both ends togther. I imagine if planks are not dead straight it would not pull in enough, but for £24.74/m2 very good price.
Im thinking of B+Q solid oak 110mm @£35/m2 glued on DPM and 7mm underlay boards on concrete. You can mix the widths of planks together, but in my hall i think there will be alot of 1 type or another left over :(
I think the single planks with bevelled edges look best. The planks with 2 or more strips look too much like laminate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back