Wickes PIR Sensor switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I brought a PIR switch from Wickes( http://www.wickes.co.uk/Green-i-Movement-Sensor-Switch/invt/205591) to use in my downstairs WC. I had an LED bulb in but it didn't work - the PIR system wouldn't turn off. I tried a low energy gu10 type bulb and that just flickered. Seems it will only work with mains voltage halogen. Why is this? I'm thinking that when the PIR is activated the bulb is slowly dimmed up abeit very quickly making a non dimmer-able LED or low energy unusable?

Am i right and is there any type of low energy bulb i can use?

Sponsored Links
Why is this?

Because the switch never fully switches off.

The switch requires a small amount of power for its electronics and it obtains that power by allowing a small amount of current to flow even when it is "OFF".

For all lamps with filaments the small amount of current is too small to have any noticable affect on the filament. But with energy saving lamps the lamp's electronics store up the small amount of power until there is enough to make the lamp flash. Led lamps take very little current be visible lit so may appear lit even when the switch is OFF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back