Wickes Undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used this? If so, can anyone compare the original 'Wickes quick dry undercoat'

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Quick-Dry-Undercoat/invt/163402

to this? the 'Master undercoat'

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Master-Undercoat/invt/605158

The only thing I can see is the drying time. I went into Wickes today to buy the quick drying stuff but they didn't have any, so they recommended this Master stuff, which is only a couple of quid more but the guy there absolutely raved about it and said it is far better, but why is this for only a pound or two more in price??

Sponsored Links
The quick dry paint is acrylic i.e water based. The Master one is oil based and as such dries slower. If there is no need to use water based paint then dont, just use the oil based one.

Why buy either?!?!?!

A decent trade quality paint will cost a little more but save you pounds in labour and provide a better finish.

Cheap paints are a false economy- used by unsuspecting home users and evil cowboys

Sponsored Links
Why buy either?!?!?!

A decent trade quality paint will cost a little more but save you pounds in labour and provide a better finish.

Cheap paints are a false economy- used by unsuspecting home users and evil cowboys

What would you recommend then opps? :?:

I use Dulux trade paints- the dulux retail paints are crap.

You will be paying more but it will cover better and require fewer coats- thereby reducing labour times/costs. Hence it works out cheaper in the long run

The only thing that I dislike is their unit prices eg £17 for 1 litre, £24 for 2.5 and £40 for 5 litres- crazy!!!

I use Dulux trade paints- the dulux retail paints are crap.

You will be paying more but it will cover better and require fewer coats- thereby reducing labour times/costs. Hence it works out cheaper in the long run

The only thing that I dislike is their unit prices eg £17 for 1 litre, £24 for 2.5 and £40 for 5 litres- crazy!!!

Wow, yes definitely crazy prices! This is actually only for my spare bedroom and we will be painting over the undercoat with a dark colour anyway, so is it *really* necessary to get such a high quality/expensive undercoat?

You could try Leyland Trade or Johnstones- both quite a bit cheaper than Dulux and better than DIY paints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back