Wickes wooden flooring

I

imamartian

i'm about to purchase wooden flooring for my lounge, and have done a bit of research, and i see i could have laminate, engineered, or real wood.. well i've decided engineered will be right for me.

and then the Wickes adverts... 30% off.. sounds great except when i go on their site, they only seem to be selling laminate or real wood... am i missing something? or are they really not selling engineered boards in their sale?

Any advice appreciated...

Sponsored Links
I just had a quick look at the Wickes site, and I think the engineered wood you are after is listed under Real Wood, rather than the Solid Wood flooring.
If you look at the descriptions of the particular wood flooring you're after, you'll see it says how it's constructed, whether it's a solid wood or it has a wood veneer.
Hope it helps

I just had a quick look at the Wickes site, and I think the engineered wood you are after is listed under Real Wood, rather than the Solid Wood flooring.
If you look at the descriptions of the particular wood flooring you're after, you'll see it says how it's constructed, whether it's a solid wood or it has a wood veneer.
Hope it helps

thanks my friend, my kneejerk reaction was obviously unneccesary..

Sponsored Links
laminate floor is a photograph of wood stuck on some chipboard type arrangement.

engineered by design i guess is laminate, as its bits of ply laminated together with a veneer of real wood like oak on the top. But its called engineered floor to avoid confusing it with laminate

the diference would be obvious if you had them in your hand or under foot, but if you were looking in a catalogue they would look the same. I guess its just the names people have adopted for the different products.

the difference is:

real wood = a lump of wood you can sand and varnish until it's gone.. it acts like a piece of wood in moist v dry conditions etc

engineered = a thin piece of wood, so it can be sanded a few times, but is stuck to other things to avoid movement in moist or dry conditions

laminate = a piece of paper (looking like wood) stuck on an inert timber substitute like mdf to reduce movement etc, and can't be sanded at all !!

real wood, better known as solid wood: can be sanded as far as the T&G only ;)

wood-engineered: at least 2mm solid top layer of real wood

wood-veneer: max 2mm solid top layer (but standard 0.6mm solid top layer) of real wood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back