wooden flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have real wooden flooring in my downstairs hallway and dinning room but it's scratched and a bit dated 10 years old. It looks like laminate floor but its actually real wood . I would like to give it a gloss and make it appear parquet. What do you suggest I do?

Sponsored Links
raclevy said:
I would like to give it a gloss and make it appear parquet. What do you suggest I do?

dream on?

I cant see how you can make a non parquet floor look like parquet floor,

unless you put a carpet on it it will get scratched / dented etc, its called charater, something the laminate floors can only ever dream of

breezer said:
raclevy said:
I would like to give it a gloss and make it appear parquet. What do you suggest I do?
dream on?

I cant see how you can make a non parquet floor look like parquet floor,

unless you put a carpet on it it will get scratched / dented etc, its called charater, something the laminate floors can only ever dream of
There seems to be a lot of confusing about parquet flooring. I tried to explain that here:

"Miss-use of Parquet term. Where in the mainland of Europe Parquet (Parket) means wooden flooring (any wooden flooring, from solid, wood-engineered to wood block design patterns like herringbone) in the UK the term Parquet is commonly used to describe the latter: wood blocks in any design pattern.
We have noticed however that some manufacturers and retailers use the term Parquet in the UK to promote the 3-strip Wood-Engineered (or 3-strip Wood-Veneer) flooring, which does lead to disappointed customers expecting a real (solid) ‘old-fashioned’ parquet floor instead of the T&G (or click) boards they are in fact purchasing."

Like to hear from raclevy what type of 'parquet' flooring he/she thinks the floor is and what the 'perception' of 'parquet look' he/she has.

I have actually got 3-strip wood-veneer.It is not "that" badly scratched that I need a rug everywhere! All I am asking as an ignoramus person is what can I do to improve the flooring, is there any product to give it a good gloss ? And YES I would like to get a parquet effect !!! [/b]

Sponsored Links
If the wood-venner is lacquered you'll have to sand the whole floor and apply a new gloss finish. (And sanding depends on the thickness of the veneer layer, if less then 0.5mm you're out of luck I'm afraid)
If the wood-veneer is oiled, apply a glossy maintenance product firstly over the scratched patches, let it dry and then apply a gloss maintenance product over the whole floor and start buffing!

Morning wood you like

( Vrolijke Kerstmis aan u en van u )
( Vrolijke Kerstmis aan u en van u )

May i suggest that you show a picture of each type of floor?

you could even post it in your post here

I always remeber parquet flooring as being what we had in our old school hall, none of this modern rubbish

breezer said:
Morning wood you like ( Vrolijke Kerstmis aan u en van u )
Dank u wel ;) en hetzelfde aan u en de uwen.

breezer said:
May i suggest that you show a picture of each type of floor?
Excellent idea:

Parquet flooring (example of one of the more popular patterns: herringbone)
wooden%20flooring4.jpg

3-strip wood-eningeered (or veneer flooring, depending on thickness of solid top layer):
Oak3stripWE200.jpg

breezer said:
you could even post it in your post here
Will do that some time this week, just got online to check some things for tomorrow and if I 'out-stay' my visit hubby will get grumpy ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back