Wide Electrical Channeling

Morning John, Yes, all cables run vertically out of the consumer unit (housing the RCDs). The box is 450mm wide, and the cables are bunched to a width of 160mm, running to the ceiling.
Fair enough - that's OK then.
The cables are clipped down neat enough. The channeling is to cover the cables before plastering and add a bit of protection should someone choose to drill in this location. I do appreciate that its still possible to drill through this channeling, but it does act as a first line of defence.
That's obviously your choice but, as I said at the very start, I think you are probably over-estimating the additional "bit of protection" that would be afforded by standard 'capping' / 'channeling'. If you really wanted to protect against drills, nails and pins etc., you would really need steel sheet, probably at least 2-3 mm thick, or some equivalent.

I would also say that, of all the bits of wall in a house, the bit vertically above a CU is probably the place where anyone with even half a brain would suspect that there were probably buried cables, and if cables coming out of the top of the CU and entering the wall are visible, that would also apply to anyone with quarter of a brain, or less :)

You may well not like it aesthetically, by scousespark's suggesting of "boxing everything in" would have the advantage that any future work which may be needed on any of the cables (or additional cables) would be far less destructive.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
i have seen Cable Tray fitted on back to front before, to secure the cables back

shopping
It's full of holes!

I mentioned galv trunking lid earlier - I believe you can actually get galv lid to go over galv tray.

It looks like trunking lid, and presumably you can buy it separately.

Sponsored Links
or could you use 200mm wide trunking surface mounted. I have done similar to hide pipes and it's easier if you fix the "lid" to the wall rather than the channel
If you fix the lid to the wall first, how are you supposed to then fit the channel?

If you fix the lid to the wall first, how are you supposed to then fit the channel?
The channel just clicks on just as it would the other way. Try it. You can also fix the lid by securing it with the pipe clip screws.
Just figured out that perhaps you were thinking of metal channel and I meant plastic!...

Last edited:
The channel just clicks on just as it would the other way. Try it. ... Just figured out that perhaps you were thinking of metal channel and I meant plastic!...
Fair enough, but plastic 'channel' would presumably do little to offer the protection against drills/nails/screws etc. that the OP wants?

Kind Regards, John

Agreed but the surface mounted channel is visibly obvious whereas plastered over cables arent

Agreed but the surface mounted channel is visibly obvious whereas plastered over cables arent
Very true, but I suspect that one of the OP's desires is to have 'nothing visibly obvious' as regards the cables (but, at the same time, have them protected from mechanical damage).

However, as I've said, I would have thought that most half-sensible people would realise that vertically above a CU would be just about the most 'dangerous' bit of wall to attack with a drill, screws or nails etc.!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back