Widening internal doorway a small amount

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D4DEE048-1304-4BD4-AAF0-98C3E4AF9165.jpeg
AF661213-7993-4796-9D99-70393EE0DB85.jpeg
I have a narrow internal door (70cm roughly), above it there are no brick walls on the upper level. I am wondering if there is any reason why I can’t take off the wood architrave and angle grind off about the depth of a brick to widen it. I am worried that perhaps there is a reason it wasn’t made wider in the first place so a door can be fitted. Looking at the first picture I would be widening the right hand side, above the wall on the left the wall is supporting and goes right up to the attic.

Sponsored Links
Its probably a standard liner for a 2'3" door ie 686mm wide

If its not supporting snything, you can make it wider.

image.jpg
7EE1AEC2-94B8-4DED-B0C8-2E8976396184.jpeg
22624805-7ED6-4922-9634-7CF2EE7BF2CA.jpeg
E1BCA437-B48E-49F6-827A-BEFF533E48C9.jpeg
Ok I took a few more shots of it now I have removed the architrave. There is a concrete border around the edge and over the door is a large wooden beam from what I can see. I just need confirmation if I widen that right side I’m not going to run into any snags and if I am what they might be. Like I say I am only wanting to take the doorway wider by about a bricks depth. Thanks

Last edited:
There is a concrete border around the edge and over the door is a large wooden beam from what I can see.
That'll just be bonding plaster and a wooden lintel, standard for old houses. Looks like a single skin wall so yeah you can widen it, but you might need to insert a new lintel if the existing one isn't wide enough. No doubt you'll have to smash a few bricks at the side to enlarge the opening. Looks like an easy enough job.

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks, I gave it a go today and all advice correct. I tried angle grinding the bricks but it proved to be almost useless as the blade wasn’t big enough and the mess it mad a nightmare. Sawed them in half in the end blunting two saws over 28 bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back