Wierd Problem Occuring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this.
3 and a half years ago I had a full bathroom refit, tiles, bath etc. On the wall where the longest side of my bath sits, we had to tile on existing tiles - everything sound and secure. No pipeworks behind, leaks etc.
The tiles we used were a ceramic tile, with a slight glaze - beige color.
Everything seemed well until last night.
When turning the light of, I noticed only one tile closest to the bath rim, had a dark mark, size of my palm of my hand, underneath was another dark patch, roughly the size of a finger. Never noticed this before. Tried wiping the tile, it is still there. Grout, and sealant seem good. Never noticed this before, but this is only on one tile?
Any ideas what this could be? It certainly is noticable.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any staining around the grout and did the dark mark clean at all when you tried.
You said it is noticable, but you have only just noticed it yourself.
Is there any chance that this is an imperfection in the tile rather than a staining from leak or damp?
If it will not scrub off, I would think it could well be an imperfection.

Heres a pic.
I certainly would on noticed it before it seems to have happened over the weekend. I would find it hard for anything coming from the back of the tile as it's tiled ontop of tiles (I know its frowned upon, but it was a good solid based).

Could there somehow have been some oil or containing oil which has slowly permeated through the tile?

The ceramic tiles are slightly porous.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I cannot think of anything where any oil could of come in contact with the tile.
I did think that my other half had been dying her hair recently, but it's not the case.
Just a puzzle really, and wondered if anyone had experienced anyhting like this.
I do have some spare tiles, and I might change it over the weekend.

One thing though, can it be something to do with tiling on tiles? But over 3 years down with no problems, surely I'm barking up the wrong tree.

, can it be something to do with tiling on tiles

wouldnt have thought so mate, at first i thought possibly the adhesive bleeding through the tile, but if that was the case you would have noticed it long before now, has your wife/partner been trying to clean the tiles with something?

I dont think she has been cleaning it with anything, and is she had, I would of assumed it would be happening on some othre tiles as well? Or could I be wrong..defective tile?
I wil question her again with spotlights and clamps when she arrives home ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back