Last few questions before I start tiling

SL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiling small bathroom , using stone effect 18" * 12" ceramic tiles, brick pattern, on plasterboard walls.

Q1) When tanking around bath do I need tape between wall and bath, if yes, should I put sealant in first then tape, or tape then use sealant. ( I know I also need to use sealant after grouting). How far should the tape overlap the bath.

Q2) Is it ok to use the bath edge to start first row of tiles (the spacing will be ok for floor to ceiling).

Q3) I have been advised to Bal White Star, do you think this will be ok.

Q4) when tiling an internal corner, what is the best way to do it. lay 1st tile then butt up 2nd tile (allowing for grout) or lay then so front edge of both tiles meet (allowing for grout).

Q5) I will be using the same colour tiles for both floor and wall, and will be white grout for walls, and gray for the floor, do you think this will look odd.

I would also like to say thank you to every one who responds to peoples questions. I only wish I found this site before I started my extension.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Tiling small bathroom , using stone effect 18" * 12" ceramic tiles, brick pattern, on plasterboard walls.
Q1) When tanking around bath do I need tape between wall and bath,
Yes
if yes, should I put sealant in first then tape, or tape then use sealant. ( I know I also need to use sealant after grouting). How far should the tape overlap the bath.
Sealant in first - just in case. Plus it'll help firm up the bath.

Q2) Is it ok to use the bath edge to start first row of tiles (the spacing will be ok for floor to ceiling).
Assuming it's level then that is fine.

Q3) I have been advised to Bal White Star, do you think this will be ok.
That's excellent adhesive, but for tiles that size, you'd be better with a powdered adhesive rather than a pre-mixed.

Q4) when tiling an internal corner, what is the best way to do it. lay 1st tile then butt up 2nd tile (allowing for grout) or lay then so front edge of both tiles meet (allowing for grout).
Generally, you lay the tile furthest away from the eye first. Then the tile that meets the other corner one is fitted next to the other corner one leaving about 2mm to allow for a silicone seal to get a decent grip.

Q5) I will be using the same colour tiles for both floor and wall, and will be white grout for walls, and gray for the floor, do you think this will look odd.
My tuppence worth.... grey grout is a must for floors, so well done on that count. If you want white for the walls, then go for it. Personally, white is the last colour I'd choose - if you can bare the same grey grout on the walls then that will look superb and will not show mould and mildew and therefore reduce the amount of cleaning necessary.

I would also like to say thank you to every one who responds to peoples questions. I only wish I found this site before I started my extension.
Thanks Steve, a little comment like that means a lot.

Thanks gcol.

Have only just read your response. Just finished applying tanking. It's very easy to do. I also called BAL earlier today for their advise.

A1) Bal suggested that as my bath has not been fitted I should tank to just below bath rim and apply sealant to edge / rim of bath before pushing bath against wall, also ensuing that curve bit between wall and bath is also filled with sealant, then tile and grout, than add sealant again for good finish. If bath his already fitted then tap must be used to over lap bath (add sealant first).

A3) Bal say the same as gcol, due to tile size.

Q4) should I put grout in corner and the sealant over the top, or use just sealant?

Q5) I do not really want to use white grout but thought it may be the best colour as most sealant is white. My tiles are a light beige stone effect, but I think I will now use grey grout ( have purchased just bal rapid set white, but will have to swap), Can you get grey sealant that will match grey bal grout. Would you use white or grey sealant between bath and wall and in the corners ?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Q4) should I put grout in corner and the sealant over the top, or use just sealant?
You want to leave the corner free of grout, then you can fill it with silicone.

Q5) I do not really want to use white grout but thought it may be the best colour as most sealant is white. My tiles are a light beige stone effect, but I think I will now use grey grout ( have purchased just bal rapid set white, but will have to swap), Can you get grey sealant that will match grey bal grout. Would you use white or grey sealant between bath and wall and in the corners?
Bal do their microcolour grout in a shade of grey called Gunmetal. You can get manhattan grey silicone like this http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx?id=2&pr=dc7s
If you use grey grout, use grey silicone around the bath and in the corners.

I used both in my kitchen a few months back and it looks fine.
P1000584.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back