WiFi between two houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not the best of titles for this thread but here is the problem
A new build house is approx 1.5 mtrs distance from an existing house that will be demolished when the new house is complete.
The broadband hub has now been moved from the existing house to the new but I still need wifi in the existing property until I move (for TV, printing etc.)
Can I get wifi from the hub in the new house into the old property?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just try it.

I can pick up the woman opposite's wifi but obviously can't sign in

My girlfriend used to pick up her landlord's wifi. She was around 100feet from the main house in a different building

Or just run a cable through the gap

Depends on a few factors, location of hub, wall thickness, quality of hub.

I can see most of my neighbours wifi when searching so unless your house is a 20 bed mansion I would go with the answer of yes you should be able to.

Thanks for the help, I will check out the wifi distance tomorrow
If it comes to "running a cable" (I presume a Ethernet from the Hub) what would I need to do at the other end?

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't work either cable or point to point WiFi such as unifi nanostations are cheap and very effective

I have a repeater in mothers house, cheap one from Lidi, if the broadband is good, then it works well, however if the broadband into house falls over clearly so does the repeater but it can take some time for the repeater to get up and running again after a failure, my PC will auto swap, so will my phone, but TV and camera will not. Can't blame the repeater it does a grand job, but unless broadband is good a repeater can make bad broadband worse.

The router is in front of house up-stairs, the repeater back of house down-stairs when up and running all house, and all garden plus garage is covered.

If you run a cable between the two properties, then you're going to need an access point repeater on the other end of it to rebounce the WIFI, but if you're only 1.5mtr apart, it'll either work fine, or as Ericmark has suggested, get a repeater that could be set in the same house as the WIFI, but having tried the Lidl one, I swapped to a TPlink RE200 and it worked first time.

You should be able to find a wifi signal strength analyzer in the play store, and that'll help you determine the best place to locate whichever option you choose.

The problem with the Lidi repeater is the web page used to set it all up will not work with Firefox it sees it as a security risk and refuses to open it, IE also sees it as security risk but will allow you to manually accept it, since the password is in the instruction book, not like most routers a random one generated and printed on the router, until the password is changed it is a security risk.

Since the Lidi one is only sold as set times of the year not really an option to simply go out and buy, so you would need to select another make, however I know the Lidi one has three modes.
Wired in and Wifi out. (Not offered with TPlink RE200)
Wifi in and out. (Also offered with TPlink RE200)
Wifi in and wired out. (Also offered with TPlink RE200)
I use it wired in and WiFi out, but point I was making it has the three options so if one method does not work another method may, the Lidi model has two wired sockets so I have taken the wired supply to TV and put it to repeater then from repeater to TV had it only one port I would have needed a switch as well. With a wired input there is no need to press WPS button or manually enter passwords which may explain why with me it worked with no problem.

Using a wifi in and out position needs to be able to have good wifi with router, and also good wifi with old property so could needs some moving to get both, but with wired in you know in as A1 so you only have to consider the out that makes it so much easier working out where it goes.

As an added advantage one some thing is paired with output wifi then it is paired, so if I take the repeater from mothers house to my house and plug in, everything that worked in her house now works in mine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back