Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I try to run the CD it comes up with the error:-

Autorun.exe

linked to missing

OLEAUT 32, DLL : 173

The laptop is running Windows 95.

Anyone recognise whats wrong? Not being able to link to the web makes fixing these things even more difficult!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I don't even think Windows 95 even supports USB, never mind a dongle!

OSR 2.1 supports USB, but.. even that is 13 years old.

Get a new laptop.

Sponsored Links
Now thats a very useful posting!

It may well be the solution to the problem.

But another problem is probably on the way!

The desktop I am using has no floppy disc so when I have downloaded it to this one how should I transfer it to the laptop?

Now a little further information, I said it was runn ing Windows 95, that was because on the front it says "optimised for Winfows 95. In fact when running its actually using Windows 98. Evidently its been upgraded.

Now I fix gas boilers up to 30-40 years old so I dont see fixing a 15 year old laptop should be any problem when its only a software problem.

And to G4U, since she spends too much time on Facebook and has about 300 "friends". I dont want to encourage her any more than the minimum! Next she will be wanting driving lessons and you all know what follows them!

Tony

hi tony you could write it to a usb stick. or set up file sharing over the network.

I understand the noble and virtuous art of keeping things running but your pc is crap- sorry- the replacement cost is probably less than the cost of decent ram for a machine that old.

Addtionally support (read- updates) for win 98 ended years ago which means that antivirus protection is no longer sufficient.

With the advent of windoze 7, (and affordable specs) i am finally telling my clients to ditch their tired old xp machines, forget w98...

Good luck

This is a girl who goes through mobile phones at about one every 2-3 months, can forget her keys on consecutive days, creates a phone call from the heath centre on behalf of McDonalds to say she left her wallet there so I dont want to buy a new laptop when its expected life will be under two months!

USB stick is a good idea. I gave her one last week to put some of her photos on. She has used up most of her storage at the school after only four weeks on the photography course. At least she enjoys that though.

She is so lucky taking interesting "A" levels rather than the boring old chemistry, physics and maths!

Tony

Surely at some point she will need to use photoshop or some editing software?

I hated vista so much that i waited for w7 and the i7 processor before ditching my xp laptop that only cost 1650 5 years ago when i got it. My new lappy is much more expensive but i can do things in seconds that took hours previously- or worse crashed the pc.

Other than being very tardy and slow, your pc is at risk of being a bott- admittedly sitting behind a router mitigates the risk but M$ really don't care what happens to it this late on.

BIN IT- you will be poorer but it will help her and if you use it for the odd invoice you cant write it off as capital expenditure.

sorry- but it is out of date and has been for years

She has all the editing software at the school for her photography and her IT "A" levels.

I do have an NC130 but the "I" is important there!

This old laptop is totally adequate for facebook. In fact probably too good for Facebook!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back