wifi old laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have inherited an old laptop it's ok for surfing the net. It is detecting my sky broadband but it wont connect, it just says validating identity, and windows was unable to find the certificate to log you on to the network.

laptop is fujitsu siemens lifebook s6010

thanks

Sponsored Links
Click wireless icon in your task bar
In the left hand side of the window under related tasks choose "Change advanced settings"
Click on the wireless network tab
Select your network and click properties
Click on the authentication tab
Make sure the Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network is unticked

---------------------------
Wireless configuration
The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration.
This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.
OK

Eh, my key is 8 characters, and yes it's correct. And the above message pops up.

Ok, so did unpicking the IEE 802.1x fix the certificate problem?

If it did and this is the new error message you're getting then is the security on your router WPA2?

And what OS are you running on the laptop, if XP and its not on Service Pack 2 or above then you'll need to grab this hot fix to enable WPA2 support

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=1974

Sponsored Links
Ok, so did unpicking the IEE 802.1x fix the certificate problem?

If it did and this is the new error message you're getting then is the security on your router WPA2?

And what OS are you running on the laptop, if XP and its not on Service Pack 2 or above then you'll need to grab this hot fix to enable WPA2 support

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=1974[/QUOTE]

yes it fixed the certificate, and is a new message, and am on xp will run the link now

Ah, if its WEP then you didn't need the WPA2 patch although installing SP3 (did you install SP3 or just the hot fix?) obviously has a lot of security fixes so it helps in other areas.

Are you sure the WEP key you are typing in is correct? It is case sensitive.

Also WEP keys are either 5 characters or 13 characters for 64bit/128bit keys respectively

However.

The network key on the bottom of a sky router is for WPA-PSK (Pre Shared Key).

Does the wifi card in your laptop support WPA? If not then it would be better to get a WPA/2 compatible wifi card/dongle rather then compromise the security of your wifi network (WEP is incredibly weak).

If however you want to change your sky router to use WEP then

Log onto the router (192.168.0.1) using a wired connection
Click Wireless settings
tick the radio box next to WEP
You will now see a WEP security encryption window.

Change the encryption strength to 128 bit
type in the key you wish to use.
Click the generate button
Copy Key 1
Click apply

i installed sp3

i don't really want to mes about with the router, think i'll bite the bullet and buy one of the dongle is there any spec that I should look out for or will pretty much any do, are there any I should steer clear of or look out for.

thanks again, you've been most helpful

Pretty much any will do, might as well get one that (at least supports WPA ;) ) is 802.11b/g/n compatible the N part will allow faster transfer rates (although only really noticed on internal network transfer speeds).

SP3 on your laptop increases its protection against security issues, just schedule windows update to run every tuesday around midnight (as Microsoft release security patches on "Patch Tuesday" unless critical, midnight GMT will offset the USA time)

Sponsored Links
Back