Wifi speed dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend recently had the full fibre eero system installed by Talk Talk. The promised speed is 150 Mbs but he rarely gets much more than 50 right next to the eero. I tested the connection with my tablet and got 150 over WiFi next to the eero, so the issue must be with his laptop. Could this be a WiFi 6 issue? The laptop dates from 2015. Windows says that the network card does not need new drivers.

Sponsored Links
If he can plug a cable in between router and laptop that will give the best speed indication.

It maybe that his laptop only has 2.3 GHz WiFi capability.

You can sometimes upgrade the wifi card in laptops... I have done so in mine...

Sponsored Links
With wifi and everything?
I'm still using my 90's computer, and yes it does use wi-fi and everything! ;)

20211222_115437.jpg

Nice, doesn't look like a laptop though... did it come with wifi from the factory? Must have cost a fortune. I remember replacing the CD-ROM drive on my packard bell AMD dx2-66 thing and it cost about £400 for a 2x!

I'm still using my 90's computer, and yes it does use wi-fi and everything! ;)

View attachment 267665

I would suggest that the WiFi card in your friend's laptop is only capable of 54Mbps, but yours is capable of 150Mbps. If the friend's laptop has an RJ45 port, this will run at a minimum of 100Mbps, and could run at 1000Mbps (1Gbps). As others have suggested, in upgraded WiFi card *may* be available to increase the WiFi to 150 or 300 Mbps.

Sponsored Links
Back