WiFi thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Can anyone recommend a simple device that would work as a WiFi access point but also has a "through" function for ethernet? Basically I have an rj45 socket behind the smart TV and I'd like to add a wap but keep the TV's wired connection. Hope that makes sense

Sponsored Links
Hi there. Can anyone recommend a simple device that would work as a WiFi access point but also has a "through" function for ethernet? Basically I have an rj45 socket behind the smart TV and I'd like to add a wap but keep the TV's wired connection. Hope that makes sense

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-600-kit-084284-BVFL.html

Plug the main unit into a socket and into your router, plug the other one near your TV and connect with a cable to your TV. It will also put out its own WiFi signal. You can get a triple kit too and plug one in another room that has a poor signal.

Sponsored Links
but my wifi router is two thick stone walls away and we get no wifi in the living room. There is a wired connection to the living room but only one rj45 socket so just now its either TV or WAP. I want both.

I’m not an expert and my first method will work for you but I think you can also plug your existing wired connection into an old router then go from that as well as it putting a WiFi signal out of its own. Look it up on the 'net. (y)

You need a wireless access point with built in ethernet switch like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi...s=wireless+access+point&qid=1585395200&sr=8-6

-or-

It's fairly easy to set up any old wireless router you may already have sat in a drawer to do the same thing, just Google 'how to set up old router as access point' and you will find plenty of guides on how to do it.

Top tip: set both the main router in your house and the access point with exactly the same wifi name and password, this will make it easier for devices to automatically switch between the two networks seamlessly. They should both be on different channels still.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for the replies. I bought the strong 300 router that I posted a link to. I changed the name and password as advised and everything works as it should.. Except the Ethernet ports seem to turn off if they haven't been used. I need to unplug the Ethernet cable and plug it back in to reactivate it.

Sponsored Links
Back