Wiki questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Where's the full info about the syntax of Wiki pages gone? This //www.diynot.com/wiki/Wiki:Syntax has virtually nothing in it, e.g. forcing blank lines, and what I was particularly looking for, how to create headings which automatically generate a mini table of contents at the top of the article.

2) Here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/Wiki:Getting-Started it says

To edit an article click on the edit link. The edit link is in the upper right side of the page. This puts the article in “edit mode” which lets you edit the content right there on the web page. In Edit mode, you have a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor, where you can control and apply formatting without the need for special codes.

But when I click the Edit link as described //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts/edit I see this, which isn't a WYSIWYG editor...

screenshot_190.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's strange, as the WYSIWYG controls come up for me, I will have to investigate further...

Ah - that's it.

I use NoScript to control which 3rd party sites can run scripts - if I allow cachefly I get the (almost ;) ) WYSIWIG.

How to create headings which automatically generate a mini table of contents at the top of the article?

Sponsored Links
If you mean the mini table that used to appear at the top right of some articles, this was with a different wiki software and is not present in the current software at the moment.

If you mean the mini table that used to appear at the top right of some articles, this was with a different wiki software and is not present in the current software at the moment.
I'm still struggling to understand how that is an improvement.

Plus breaking all the old Wiki links - can't see where the benefit is in that.

And yet another bit of broken functionality.

The Wiki software is so useless that it doesn't even recognise URLs - it just treats them as ordinary text unless you highlight them, click the Insert/Edit Link button and give it some text to display.

So every single article which was transferred from the old Wiki to the new one, and contained bare URLs, is broken.

I'd like to retract what I said above - I am no longer struggling to understand how this is an improvement, I am absolutely certain that it was a retrograde step - everything about it is worse and nothing about it is better.

I am now struggling to understand how anybody could ever have thought it was a good idea.

I've just been forced to use a sub-optimal way of pointing someone at a particular bit of information in a Wiki article because of the lack of headings within it.

Before this ridiculous change to something inferior I could have linked to the specific part which was relevant, but as it is now I can only link to an entire article.

What were you thinking of? :rolleyes:

Another example of when what was really needed was the ability to link to a particular section of a Wiki article, like we used to be able to do, rather than being restricted just to a link to the article and then having to tell someone what to look for in it.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/posts/3889545/

This is not an improvement - where was the sense in, and what was the reason for, making a change for the worse?

Sponsored Links
Back