Will a 6mm cable feed these cookers ok.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i currently have a 6mm cable from the consumer unit to the kitchen for an existing freestanding cooker on a 30 amp fuse.
Im currently renewing my kitchen and i am going for a Zanussi double oven which apparntly needs 30 amp fuse link http://www.zanussi-electrolux.co.uk/node108.aspx?dealresult=&productid=3158&qpproducts=
and also im fitting an hotpoint ceramic hob link http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/macro/product.d2w/report?typeref=10&prnbr=E6005.

What i want to know is will this 6mm cable feed both appliances or do i have to run another 6mm cable to each appliance. The run of the cable is not that long at the moment its about 10m.

See the freestanding cooker has 4 hobs and a double oven and that is basically what im putting back but in 2 seperate appliances so i can't see a real difference. Just want some proffessional advice please.

Sponsored Links
Ceramic hobs are usually 25-30A so this will exceed the limit on your cable when added to the oven. At the very least your cable should be able to carry 75% of the total load of the cookers, but it is good practice to cover the whole load. otherwise you could blow the fuse during Christmas dinner when everything's on. Best to run another 6mm (depending on the load of the hob, don't know what it is) and have a separate cooker switch for the hob. Either that, or run in 10mm, but that will mean cramming two 10mm cables into the outlet, or from the cooker. Obviously whichever cable you use, protect with a low enough fuse/mcb.

that link for the ovens is useless, it doesn't give any details on wattage or anything..

i know the oven requires a 30 amp fuse according to the link but thats about all it says.. i have tried to find out the more technical details but can't find them anywhere. I think i will run another 6mm cable to the oven and leave the existing 6mm cable to run the ceramic hob.Better to be safe than sorry.

cheers for help.

Sponsored Links
Look for the ratings label. Usually underneath on a hob & sometimes inside the door on an oven.

securespark said:
Look for the ratings label. Usually underneath on a hob & sometimes inside the door on an oven.

well they have not arrived yet as B& q are not delivering them until thursday so ill take a look then what ratings they are and get back to you.

Thanks for replies. :D

the appliances have arrived and the cooker is 5.5kw and the ceramic hob is 6.28kw. so that totals 11.78kw. so just to be on the safe side i have run another 6mm cable to feed them seperatly from fuse box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back