will a band saw cut fence post wedges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am making a large log store and in order to change the roof angle so the slates slope nicely to the guttering I want to fix long wedges to the rafters before I fix the sarking boards.

I am making these wedges by angle cutting 100mm fence posts. The wedges will then 100mm wide by about 300mm long, 50mm high tapering to a fine point. I will need about 30 of them.

I was thinking of buying a bench top band saw to do this. I would obviously cut the fence posts on my mitre saw first to 300mm lengths so will be able to push short pieces through the band saw. I am concerned by the capability of these small bandsaws though. Some reviews on screwfix are saying no use on anything thicker than 12mm etc but the max cut capacity is 190mm!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you need to look again at what you are attempting to do as the rafters should already have the pitch/angle.

I think you need to look again at what you are attempting to do as the rafters should already have the pitch/angle.

I get your comment. I am however building a log store leaning against a garden wall with my neighbour. The roof starts just below the top of the wall and rises to me on my side. I cant have the slates above the top of the wall all rain water will go over his side. The problem comes with trying to fit micro line guttering between the rafter and wall.

I have put a wall plate to the wall where the rafters will sit on, the guttering will sit on this and then I essentially want to raise the rafters gradually near the guttering so the sarking board sits just higher than the guttering.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In answer to your first question, I'd use a hand held circular saw (assuming you're looking to do it relatively cheaply). You will have to cut top and bottom of a 100mm post with it, but the cheap circular saw is going to have a longer duty cycle than the cheap band saw for this kind of work.

I have a decent Makita circular saw, 190mm blade model if I remember. I was just thinking to be able to guide carefully through a band saw where you can cut the wedges in a oner and follow a line easily it would be good. I was looking at the Record band saw about £225, maybe just looking for an excuse to buy more toys! I'll try the circular saw though.

cheers

A decent woodyard would be able to supply the firrings that you want at a pretty reasonable cost and with much less work to yourself, but wouldn't it be much easier to simply raise the one end of the rafters?

I go with ladylola on this - as a DIY'er who apparently isn't used to circular or band saws, esp. ripping on an angle, it would be cheaper and safer for you to buy in.

there is also no chance in hell a bench top band saw will cut a 4 inch fence post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back