Sliding mitre saw woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mitre saw has several set angles which it locks to, trouble is when it is set at 45 degrees it isn't as accurate as I would have hoped :confused:

I have set the 0 degrees by using an accurate square ( tested at work for squareness ) and by moving the fence a tad it cuts true, but the 45 degree cut is more like 44...not good when you are trying to make a square frame.

I see the only option open to me is to file the 45 degree locator slots, I've had the saw too long to take it back :cry:

It's a poor workman that blames his tools, next time I will have to save up more money and buy a decent saw :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem with a cheap mitre saw I brought.

I reset the fence as you have done and still found that the angles were out slightly. I then found that the blade could move each side (flex) easily due to the flimsiness of the saw's construction. Very annoying when you are trying to get perfect mitre's for kitchen cornices.

I have now replaced to a Dewalt 712 and find it perfect.

I bought the erbauer mitre saw and exhibit the same problem. However this was quickly solved by adjusting the notched slot and screwing in tightly so it wouldn't move. For the price I cant complain.

If you are mitring longish bits of wood, you could select some packing to insert between the wood and the guide, at some predetermined place, like the end of the guide, to get the angle correct. I use bits of ali cos' its available (scrap box) in thicknesses from 1/32" to 1/8"+.
Frank

Sponsored Links
The moral of the story is buy cheapo mitre saws and you will almost certainly have problems with the angles not being 100% accurate.

I have a Makita sliding mitre saw and a De walt non slider and both have been spot on for angles, no adjustment required right from the start. The angle stops are positive and they are a pleasure to use.

I bought a Rexon mitre saw from B&Q a few years back and I couldn't get it to cut a right angle with any degree of accuracy. :cry: It went back after a week of messing about trying to adjust it.

Basically Ive always found you get what you pay for.Decent mitre saws seem to cost between £200- £300 for assured pre set angle cuts however your variance of 44 to 45 degrees can often be which side of your pencil mark you cut on or holding the timber firmly against the back plate or worrying about mitre jointing your fingers and not the timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back