Wonky mitre saw

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a problem with my Rage evolution mitre saw and am scratching my head a bit with it. Every cut I make ends up with a slight angle to it, like I've set it to an 85 degree cut or something.

I've put a set square on it and it's at 90 degrees the whole way down and only seems to go wonky when it's cutting.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Take a piece of squarish wood, say 5x5", and cut it at 90 degrees, and then check it. If it's out, then adjust the rear rails until you get a true 90 degree cut. You may need to adjust one side, and then run a straight edge across both rails, and then adjust the other side.

May be damaged or has it always cut out of true? My hitachi chop saw has always cut out of square from new.(about 1or 2 degrees.)

Hitachi's always need adjusting after purchase, just can't remember if it was the shop assitant that told me, or a note in the box.

Sponsored Links
If your cut isn't 90degrees there's either a lot of deflection (I wouldn't be surprised with an evolution) or your 'square' isn't square and your saw isn't set at true 90.

You can spend a fair bit on measuring tools, in some cases more than that saw would cost so it's down to the quality of what you're using.

As a given I never trust shop bought squares to be as accurate as you'd want them to be.

When I first got it the cuts were straight.

This time last year I did the skirting and picture rails in my dining room and noticed it was cutting wonky.

I've been replacing joists in a downstairs bedroom and the cuts are now really out.

I've borrowed something else now and am using that to get through the job.

It was cheap but for a diyer I can't really drop several hundred on something I might use once a year. Bearing in mind it's not been used a huge amount I'm suprised it's gone out of true.

You haven't mentioned which model it is, but do the guide rails at the back have bolts; if they do, then one of them isn't tight enough. Shop bought squares may not be perfect, but you cut a piece of wood, check which way it's out, and then undo the bolts a little, and tap the guide rail till little, tighten the bolts, then make another cut and check it. And you eep repeating the process till you get it as accurate as possible.

Had a quick look at the manual. Looks like the adjustment is set by moving the fence so I'd start there.

A good tool to get which I use for quick adjustment is the trend digital angle finder.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171022-201119.png
    Screenshot_20171022-201119.png
    723 KB · Views: 147
Thanks everyone - the saw isn't out on that angle it's out on the bevel angle. Some of the cuts seem to start off straight then curve at the bottom of the piece.

I've had the square on the deck and checked the blade and it looks fine until it's used.

Thanks everyone - the saw isn't out on that angle it's out on the bevel angle. Some of the cuts seem to start off straight then curve at the bottom of the piece.

I've had the square on the deck and checked the blade and it looks fine until it's used.

Have you checked it with it as far away from home as possible? Lock it in the downward position and move it to the end of its range then check it again.

The zero/45 position is a simple adjustment. Should be a couple of bolts either side of the pivot point which will adjust the positive stop for 45.

Hitachi's always need adjusting after purchase, just can't remember if it was the shop assitant that told me, or a note in the box.
There is no adjustment possible on my chop saw , workshop had it three months and were unable to do anything with it , casting for slide rails was just out of true.

Don't faff around with measuring equipment, to find out if it's square just cut a piece of 4 by 4 (make some if needs be) at 90 degrees and then turn it over. If it doesn't match the blade in both directions, the blade is not running perpendicular.
That's how I set mine up (Makita)
But if there's no adjustment then there's not much you can do other than replacing parts!

Don't faff around with measuring equipment, to find out if it's square just cut a piece of 4 by 4 (make some if needs be) at 90 degrees and then turn it over. If it doesn't match the blade in both directions, the blade is not running perpendicular.
That's how I set mine up (Makita)
But if there's no adjustment then there's not much you can do other than replacing parts!

Yeah, why spend money on measuring equipment when you can just **** in the wind and guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back