Will a boiler service introduce air into Heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the boiler serviced a couple of weeks ago and have since had to go around and vent all the rads for trapped air. Is this a coincidence or is a boiler service (Ideal Logic) likely to introduce air into the system does anyone know? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It depends if it was a service or safety check. If the latter, then I doubt it, if the former, then yes it’s possible. Where is the boiler in relation to vented rads?

It depends if it was a service or safety check. If the latter, then I doubt it, if the former, then yes it’s possible. Where is the boiler in relation to vented rads?

It was a full service, took circa 45 minutes. They removed some parts in the boiler (I don't know what exactly) during the process and re-fitted.
The boiler is on the ground floor in a utility room. Most of the upstairs rads had quite a lot of air in, and a couple of quite isolated (end of long runs of pipe) downstairs rads too.
The water pressure has previously been stable on the boiler gauge (I check it every now and then), and it was only a few weeks before the boiler service since I last bled the radiators. Only 1 or 2 rads had small amount of air/gas in them. Which is what made me think it might have been the service that introduced air more recently?

As I said, it’s possible, if they have replace water carrying components, and or charged the expansion vessel without isolating the valves underneath (some are prone to leaking) then they could have easily introduced air into the system, especially as the boiler is lower than upstairs rads.

Sponsored Links
As I said, it’s possible, if they have replace water carrying components, and or charged the expansion vessel without isolating the valves underneath (some are prone to leaking) then they could have easily introduced air into the system, especially as the boiler is lower than upstairs rads.

Ok, thanks for this. I have re-filled the system and will keep an eye on it. Hopefully it was the service that introduced the air and not a leak!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back