will an I-Sense work on an Atag A325EC?

The wyse is not attractive, but it is good and easy to operate. Other options include one of the Atag brains, not sure which one though.

what are honeywells excuses for not introducing OT in the UK Dan?

Sponsored Links
You don't overshoot though.

The Optimisation takes care of that as does the proper design of the rest of the system.

By the term 'Optimisation', do you mean that this is Honeywell's term for TPI Dan? (Time Proportional & Integral)

Sorrry, but I had to give it best at half passed midnight last night.... I had to be up at 5 for work!

the problem with on-off controls with a variable flow temp is that once at room temperature the system shuts down, this is fine in houses with uniform heat loss and rads correctly sized, but once you move away from the ideal its an issue...

with OT controllers water is flowing most of the time through the heating system whilst the room temperature is hovering around set point. the boiler temperature thus floats up and down according to demand, keeping some heat in all the rads...

optimisations is TPI, compensation is varying the flow temperature...

Sponsored Links
I think I mentioned correct sizing and setup on one or two occasions. Weather comp and fancy controllers ate not a substitute for a crap system. ;)

correct, but this being the UK crap houses do exist...

Dan and Alec... to come full circle I think there are too many variables in the equation for my particular property.

I would honestly challenge you to right-size the rads for my house Dan. (Really... I challenge you!)

It is a 60's bungalow with 9" solid walls, so no cavity to insulate. The loft is very well insulated, and I am applying internal insulation on a room per room basis. The kitchen is done, the main bedroom is next, followed by bathroom then lounge and remaining bedroom.
The house is subject to massive variations in solar heat gain, as it is quite sprawling, with all rooms accessing a central hall, but the overall house footprint being several rectangles attached to one another means it has a long total run of external walls.
The main bedroom gets the morning sun, and goes fully into shade in the afternoon. The kitchen and second bedroom are the exact opposite, and the lounge is long and narrow with it's longest wall being predominantly north facing, so it has little if no solar gain, and massive heat loss.
The house sits on an incline, and takes the wind head-on. Heat migrates between rooms via the hall, as we like to keep the doors open between rooms.
I am currently also converting the garage, and that will have to be to building regs, so it will be the only room in the house with proper floor insulation (100mm of PIR). It will also have 100mm of wall insulation compared to the 75mm that will be going around the rest of the house.
Add to this that I will be adding forced air ventilation with heat recovery in the next couple of years, and that complicates matters even further. I might even include a heating matrix in the inbound air path to give partial blown heating to assist the rads.

My plan at the moment is just to regulate the coldest room with the thermostat, and then run every other room on liquid TRV's. I had considered electronic radiator stats/valves (Z Wave) and multi-room control via software/internet, but the systems are expensive, and don't tend to support OT.

Out of the control methods we have discussed, I think OpenTherm clearly comes out on top for reasons Alec reiterates... you are keeping the flow going for the most part, and carefully throttling the heat output of the boiler. It has to be much kinder to the boiler than harsh On/Off cycling of either a manual stat, or some sort of slow pulse-width modulation control such as TPI. OT by it's nature is bound to offer tighter regulation of the set temperature, combined with better fuel economy. This is all regardless of the addition of WC.

Please tell me if I have any of this wrong gents. I SO wish the house had cavity walls, and a more compact floor-plan, but unfortunately it doesn't, and we really don't want to move, so it's about making the best of a bad lot.

all spot on!

But try the wyze, from memory it has everything you need..(apart from good looks!)

Atag may say that its boilers and controls are Opentherm compliant, but I have never seen them listed on the OT website. They also do not display the OT logo, which can only be used if they have been submitted to the OT organization for testing.

The Dutch versions of the manuals refer to "Z-bus (Opentherm)", which suggests that they use a proprietary version of OT.

I have an Atag A200 OV with external Atag diverter and an iSense. It all works together.

Sorry to resurrect this post guys. My boiler is finally plumbed, and will be commissioned in a week's time, so it's time for me to turn my attention back to a thermostat/programmer.

I have an Atag A200 OV with external Atag diverter and an iSense. It all works together.

Knuckles, have you found the isense's OT to actually work with the atag to gently throttle the boiler around the set point, or does it just work as an on/off stat?

regards.

It does modulate the boiler output on central heating, it can work with outside temperature compensation only, room compensation only, or a combination of the two. My criticism of it is the timings of the hot water seem a bit random. There is a clock schedule for it, but the hot water is always on when the heating is running. The switching differential for the hot water is only 3C. It fires the cylinder if I draw off 7l say. I'm going to stick with the iSense for heating control but run the hot water through a mechanical stat with a wide differential.
Have a look at the iSense Pro, DM will give you more information on it, I've never seen one, maybe you've got more control with that one.

Thank you for your words of wisdom Knuckles. Interesting what you say about the I-Sense's DHW control (or apparent lack thereof!). Of course this is of no consequence to me, as I've got a combi. It is such a relief to finally be getting rid of my old fashioned vented system!!!

I just had a stroke of luck... managed to buy a brand new I-Sense on Ebay for £50, so will let everyone know in about a week, how I get on with it in combination with the Atag A325ECX.

The Atag Weather compensation sensor is wired to the Atag boiler's own circuit board, and I will be initially trying to use this configuration in combination with the I-Sense leading by room temp. Having quickly read the I-Sense instructions, I see it support a WC sensor directly attached to it's self, so, I'll be able to experiment with all combinations when winter comes around, particularly WC setting curves:

1. WC sensor attached to Boiler, I-Sense Leading by room temperature.
2. WC sensor attached to I-Sense, I-Sense Leading by room temperature.
3. No WC Sensor, simply I-Sense performing room temperature control.
4. (Less convinced about this last option)... No Room Stat at all; whole system being driven by weather compensation only. I Guess I would need to fit a TRV to the rad in the room that would normally have the stat in it in this final circumstance? (I have just fitted liquid TRV's to all my other rooms)

Thanks again to all.

Craig

Having quickly read the I-Sense instructions, I see it support a WC sensor directly attached to it's self.
I think you have read the instructions a bit too quickly.

The outside sensor is always connected to the boiler. However the RF version of the iSense can have an RF room sensor attached.

Having quickly read the I-Sense instructions, I see it support a WC sensor directly attached to it's self.
I think you have read the instructions a bit too quickly.

The outside sensor is always connected to the boiler. However the RF version of the iSense can have an RF room sensor attached.

Erm Thanks for that D_Hailsham ...Yes my bad. I literally downloaded the installation guide minutes after paying for the I Sense on ebay this morning, and quickly scan-read through a couple of pages, it would seem rapidly jumping to the wrong conclusion!

I'd have figured out my mistake of course once I got around to properly RTFM!

On the upside, this means there are less combinations for me to try.

Thanks Again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back