WIll glueing carpets to floors damage them and will they fray badly if not tacked down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a bad situation where I'm trying to rent my parent's house. The floors are ridiculously over the top engineered wood in every room and I was hoping to protect the floors during tenancies. I thought I could just get carpets that dont have to be attached/fitted to avoid damaging the wood flooring, but have been told the carpet will move and fray very easily. Will they really get worn that easily?

Was told perhaps I can glue the carpet to the wooden floor and then dissolve it later when I want to sell it, but is this feasible? Surely that will still damage the wood??

I know long ago carpets used to be freestanding, If I had a heavy enough old school carpet it wouldnt fray, becasue it would be so heavy it wouldnt move about much, but I cant find any of these.

I... don't know what to do. Help please? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think you'll have to accept that the floors are probably going to get marked etc, laying anything over the top is going to cause damage in some way and need significant remedial work to rectify/restore in the future, even rugs will cause fading/discolouration.

I will
I think you'll have to accept that the floors are probably going to get marked etc, laying anything over the top is going to cause damage in some way and need significant remedial work to rectify/restore in the future, even rugs will cause fading/discolouration.
Damn, why would it damage it or even fade? combined with costs to buy fit and remove the damn carpets, especially in this rip off climate sounds waste of time n effort. depending if I can get ok tenants!

Sponsored Links
I will

Damn, why would it damage it or even fade? combined with costs to buy fit and remove the damn carpets, especially in this rip off climate sounds waste of time n effort. depending if I can get ok tenants!

Natural wood floors age and change colour with time and light will fade floors, esepeciallybdirrct sunlight, that’s the beauty of natural wood flooring.

So if you cover it with a rug, exposed areas will change colour more obviously than the covered areas.

If you use adhesives to fit a carpet over the top, the adhesives will discolour the natural wood

Also never wash a wood floor, make sure that’s in the tenancy agreement. Sweep, hoover with a non beater bar vacuum or wipe over with a wood floor cleaning spray and microfibre cloth.

Fitted with gripper rods over underlay only damage will be pin holes from gripper rod on perimeter .
Easy enough to repair should you remove the carpet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back