Will "HIVE Active Heating & Hot Water Kit" work with combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a "HIVE Active Heating & Hot Water Kit" from Currys (Product code: 176309). The box says "for when you have a separate hot water tank", but I don't have a hot water tank as I have a combi boiler. Does this mean that I can't use this kit with my boiler?
I bought it to replace a British Gas Smart Home Thermostat which is faulty.

Sponsored Links
Does this mean that I can't use this kit with my boiler?

It maybe that you cannot use it. It depends on what voltage your boiler requires to switch the central heating on.

If your boiler requires a volt free switch in the Hive to switch a 24 volt circuit to the boiler then you cannot use the Dual Channel Hive as that puts 230 volts onto the switch.

The Single Channel Hive does not put 230 volts onto the switch therefore it can be used with almost all boilers.

0x56.jpg

Thanks for the info. My boiler is a Worcester Bosch Greenster 30CDi. Any idea whether that model requires a volt free switch?

Me personally I do not know but I am sure some one who does know will come up with the answer.

Sponsored Links
rFJcBT0
0c89J5Z

This is what the existing wiring looks like from the current BG Smart Thermostat receiver. The cables are currently connected to terminals 1 & 3 (marked "C" and "CALL"). Would the "C" correspond to Common and "CALL" correspond to "Heating On" on the Hive receiver?

When I was researching the hive it was quite confusing, they have different packages for different combination of items you are buying.

However the most important thing to remember is that if you have a combi boiler then you will need "Single Channel Receiver" . If you have a hot water tank then you will need the dual receiver.

From the sounds of what you are trying to do, you will need the hub, Single channel receiver and thermostat.

Hope that helps

you can use the dual channel as a single channel with your boiler as it is 240v switching

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back