Will Humidistat extractor fan operate properly near open window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tenants who seem incapable of opening the bathroom window during/after a shower, so I want to fit an extractor fan. I'm eyeing up the humidistat ones, but how would they work if fitted net to an open window? Would the outside humidity influence the sensor and cause it to potentially never switch off?

Sponsored Links
If fan is situated near open window then its never going to work properly, but i think you know that.

I guess the fan itself has to go there? If so, buy a standard fan and a remote humidistat, and fit the humidistat in the steamy bit.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MR1361.html

or use something else to control the fan, switching on of the shower, for instance. The fan could be triggered either by that, or from the water flow to the shower.

Set the fan timer for a good long time.
MAke sure there is a good sized method for air to enter the room, if the door is tight fitting then the fan will never be efficient. If you have a 100mm hole for the fan, you need an equivalent are intake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back