Will I get damp if I put a prefab garage to close to my house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for abit of guidance before I start a project, I’m looking at putting a Prefabricated/ Concrete panel garage next to my house..

My main concern is the garage I have looked at has a gable roof so will obviously run rainwater down both sides one away and one towards the house.. I will have roughly a 20CM gap between the house and garage and will install guttering to stop it all running down the side where it can’t dry out correctly.. would this be okay or may sound daft but would the water hitting the garage roof and splashing the brick work on the house cause damp?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
My only concern would be access for maintenence?
200mm is too small to get down, water shouldn't "bounce" but maybe organise a UPVC/ mesh "lid" to stop leaves etc gathering?

We have an approx 8” gap between our garage and next doors. They both have gable roofs. A few years ago a sycamore seed germinated between them and the resulting tree trunk filled the gap and started to crack both garages. Luckily a tree surgeon was able to reach the tree from the rear of the garage and cut it but had it been in the middle, he'd have had no chance to get to it and one of the garages would have had to have been destroyed to get to it.

A few years ago a sycamore seed germinated between them and the resulting tree trunk filled the gap and started to crack both garages.
Yes but not over night surely! Enough time to notice and get the Resolva out.

The thing to do with these narrow gaps is to concrete the ground first

Sponsored Links
Yes but not over night surely! Enough time to notice and get the Resolva out.

The thing to do with these narrow gaps is to concrete the ground first
I looked at it growing for about 8 years before I did something about it! It was when I noticed the wall cracked and pushed in at the back of the garage that I did something about it!

I looked at it growing for about 8 years before I did something about it! It was when I noticed the wall cracked and pushed in at the back of the garage that I did something about it!
Respect. Did we study on the same Procrastination course? :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back