Will I make my stairs fall down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'm looking to put a second door into my cupboard under the stairs.

The first picture shows the current door, to the left of it is where I was planning to add the second door. There is a rail along the top of all three panels. I was looking to incorporate this into my second door to retain the look.

It is cutting this rail that concerns me. On the inside the rail runs under some triangular parts of the stairs. It's not just this feeble rail holding these wedges in place is it?

Thanks for any advice.

View media item 23637View media item 23638
73000_72196_23637_76111263.jpg

73000_72196_23638_94120381.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you do not cut that rail as it will form part of the strength of the stairs.

By the look of your picture, the part below the rail is only ply wood which you could take out, and put your door in that section.

I did similar in my previous property, but the side of my stair case was more substantial.

So, do not cut out any wood which keeps the wedges in place, or it will come apart.

But having relooked at your pictures, the rail looks to be an added section.

The two black dots either side of the wood knot could be screw or nail heads.

The main part of the staircase will be cut out/ rebated to take the wedges which secure the stair treads when first made, and is part of the main side section, the wide part in your picture, and is where all the strength is.

Take the ply wood section off below, and with a flat tool, wood chisel, see if you can ease a gap between the rail and section of stairs with the wedges in it....if a gap appears you should be ok to take it off, as it will be an add on section.

The main, wide, side section of the staircase is where the wedges, and strength will be, so do not cut that.

Wait for some other replies, to either disprove or confirm my views !

rail is added but has 2 functions . 1- to look neat and make a full panelled effect 2 to a point it will strenthen the "string" of the stairs - cut it and you`ll get bounce and squeaking :idea: and gain a tiny cupboard :cry:

in my humble opinion the chunky timbers underneath are not nessisery to supporting the string but as said by nigel f they may help to reduce bounce

my suggestion would be to remove the additional upright and boards on the face and check the stairs for bounce gradualy working up to two adults "racing" up the stairs
then take it from there

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think a compromise is in order. I'll still add a door but do it without moving any of the uprights or bar along the top, making a door out of the central panel that hinges off of the current upright.

The upright next to the current door can stay and the new door close onto a strip behind it. I'll be a bit cute and add a faux rail to the top of my new door and onto the other panels to make it suit.

It will be a less useful opening but that sounds fair for the stairs not giving grief. The house is 80 years old afterall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back