Will I need to change all the taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1982 Ideal Mexico boiler has died. It lived a happy and contented life. RIP

So since I'm already having to shell out a considerable amount for a new boiler, oil tank, replace and reposition a few old radiators etc, I have been contemplating changing to an unvented cylinder. Larger size, and the option of heating water by oil or electric back up.

But I can't find an answer to this question... Will I have to replace all my taps?

Now I look around the house, all the taps have been replaced in about the last 10 years. And before I've bought them I've always checked they were suitable for gravity fed systems to ensure enough flow/pressure. So what happens when you pump pressurised hot water through them? (n)

Anyone have experience of this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Make sure your pressure and flowrates are sufficient for an unvented.
I'm in the process of refurbing the house and our taps are genuinely 60 years old.
I only had to replace a few Supatap washers and no drips now.
Presumerably your taps are all traditional washered types too.
You'll just have to suck it and see.

Thanks. I'm not sure what the pressure and flow are. Will have to leave that for the plumber.
There was originally a shower in the main bedroom, but the pressure was only sufficient to shower your feet. Lift up the shower head and it vanished. There's probably only 0.5m from the base of the loft tank to the shower head. So having a pressurised system could allow me to reinstate the shower at some future date.

Another advantage would be knowing there aren't any dead birds and insects polluting my hot water supply. :eek:

Presumerably your taps are all traditional washered types too.
Actually no. I've replaced them all with quarter turn ceramics. :)

Highly unlikely you would have to change any taps. Most are rated up to 6 or 10 bar, and if your mains pressure is higher than that you will need a pressure reducing valve anyway for the new boiler.

Sponsored Links
Aha, thank you. That's good.

I've tried looking for my existing taps online to see the spec, but they seem to say 'suitable for low pressure' or 'suitable for high pressure' but no actual details for general diy-ers like me.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back