will imported german dishwasher work in uk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I was enquiring about purchasing an extra height integrated dishwasher (86.5cm tall), it needs to be a taller dishwasher as my cupboard space is bigger. Unfortunately, this size dishwasher from all of the major brands in the UK is very expensive, starting at about £600, I have however found a Neff S52D30X2EU dishwasher that I could import from Germany on amazon.de for a lot less money:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1Y6BWCPZT6HMB

Could I take the German schuko plug off of dishwasher and connect dishwasher to the flex outlet that house builder left for me whilst safely earthing the appliance? I think German and uk voltage is the same but am I going to burn my house down? Many thanks, Andy

Sponsored Links
About the earting-I know some European plugs are just 2 pronged without earthling prong(presumably the electrical goods sold in these countries are internally earthed). I think the German schuko plug has a an earthing prong, so presumably when I take German plug off appliance, there will be 3 wires (live, neutral and earth?) thanks again

Sponsored Links
[QUOTE="idacecilie, post: 3578382, member: 235616" presumably when I take German plug off appliance, there will be 3 wires (live, neutral and earth?) thanks again[/QUOTE]
Yes.

It is 2100W on the instructions.

About the earting-I know some European plugs are just 2 pronged without earthling prong(presumably the electrical goods sold in these countries are internally earthed).
Some appliances are what are known as double-insulated and do not need an earth connection. In most of Europe, they typically come with a flat, 2-prong plug.

I think the German schuko plug has a an earthing prong, so presumably when I take German plug off appliance, there will be 3 wires (live, neutral and earth?)
The Schuko plug has side contacts top and bottom for the earth, and for a dishwasher it is almost certain it will be a 3-core flex including an earth.

Check the rating, as described above, then if satisfactory you can just cut off the German plug and fit a British one.

On a slightly different point, it might also be worth checking the water connection. We use 3/4 inch BSP imperial thread connections on dishwashers and washing machines here, I don't know for sure but the Germans might well use either ISO metric or PG (panzer gauge) threads. You may need to get hold of an awkward adapter or get somebody to make up a custom hose for you.

On a slightly different point, it might also be worth checking the water connection. We use 3/4 inch BSP imperial thread connections on dishwashers and washing machines here, I don't know for sure but the Germans might well use either ISO metric or PG (panzer gauge) threads. You may need to get hold of an awkward adapter or get somebody to make up a custom hose for you.
Maybe something like this?
http://www.waterxhome.co.uk/accesso.../conical-reducer-male-female-12-38-p-198.html

That reducer is for 2 different sizes of imperial British threads, so probably not that but something of a similar design with one imperial and one metric thread. You'd need to find out what thread is on the German hose.

If all else fails, somebody with suitable hose crimping gear could probably take the German hose supplied with the dishwasher, cut off one end and crimp on an imperial connector in its place, so you'd have a special hose with a "German end" for the dishwasher and a "British end" for your house plumbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back