Will it fall? Critique my design please

Something like this? You'd also need some fairly heavy duty connections. The wind loads will be quite significant - would definitely be work getting an engineer to advise / provide the final design/details.

As mentioned previously, also needs bracing on the other axis.

upload_2022-5-16_11-49-25.png

Sponsored Links
Ronny ,
I’d say your pretty spot on with the design , that’s how I’d do it, I’d really be tempted if it was me and cost of both to make a steel frame and weld
The thing
Lol

Ronny ,
I’d say your pretty spot on with the design , that’s how I’d do it, I’d really be tempted if it was me and cost of both to make a steel frame and weld
The thing
Lol
Yeah, 100x100 box sections everywhere and it wouldn't need bracing either (except for some flat bracing between the three main frames to resist racking).

Sponsored Links
I guess I did ask to critique my design and seeing as my shed has no obvious sides to it..... :D

Ok, I'll try answer the points.

• It has no sides to start with. If I get a "complaint" about my solar farm I will slap some sides on and ask "what farm - it's a garage for my lawnmower". @RonnyRaygun - Yours would be very straightforward but stops my "real" use.
  • For that reason I cannot brace it lower down. It would interfere with driving it in and out :)
  • I have space behind the tall posts. I could put some 75x75 or 100x100 in there to form a brace. Just means I will need 3 more footings. Not serious.
  • I will use hangers too. Not sure the single screw will suffice of the wind gets under it.

upload_2022-5-16_22-52-45.png

I could have these fabb'd and potentially do away with the rear brace. All holes of for M12 rod.
Not convinced though. A bending moment at 3.6m away is going to snap a lot of things.

upload_2022-5-16_22-38-48.png

I could forgo the ply and felt. Had thought of that but it then it becomes more difficult to say it's a garage. If I have the panels up close then it offers a lot of shelter.
I guess I could put a deck chair and a BBQ under it and call it a pergola :D

Some interesting views of frames here: http://www.ottawavalleypv.ca/low_cost_ground_mounts.html
Some of them make mine over engineered :)

Hi

I definitely wouldn’t be screwing it id be using high tensile coach bolts.
I still think even if you got the foot mounts fabricated you are going to be asking for trouble. Maybe be look at it a different way… imagine it’s a brick wall it’s not what’s above ground that counts but the foundations. That’s why when erecting fences the posts go at least 2 ft under ground.

I usually work on 1/3 of the full height is below ground but this also has to do with ground conditions so could be deeper.

I hope you don’t mind me saying but it seems like you are looking for a easy option to install it unfortunately there isn’t one and it needs correct foundations and braces as when you add up the weight of the timber and solar panels x height x weather conditions it needs to be right.
You also have to consider that when it rains your not only does your timber become heavier but it expands and retracts and changes shape . Best wishes Jake

Glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t sleep woody lol , thanks for the info re my stairs btw

he’s wanting to keep his tractor under it think like a car port?

hope you don’t mind me saying but it seems like you are looking for a easy option to install it unfortunately there isn’t one a
Not at all and exactly that. Thing is I don't know what's too easy and therefore too weak. My very first plan a while ago was 4m 300x300 posts. :D

definitely wouldn’t be screwing it id be using high tensile coach bolts.
Sorry, I incorrectly use screws and coach bolts interchangeably.

think like a car port?
Yes! Let's call it a carport now :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back