Will it pass?

eye

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all hello and could someone please give me some free advice.
As you can see by the pictures in my album; my supplier has fixed a new board fuse for me.
Over the years we have had a couple of extensions, a garage and a log cabin built. This obviously extended the house electrics, some I done myself and some by a qualified electrician.
We have the last lot of electrics that need replacing and I will use a qualified spark for this. kitchen, bathroom and hallway lights. All the rest have been replaced.
To bring the system bang up to date I want one of the new fuse boxes to replace the two I have. The cable from the fuse box runs to the log cabin, this went to an old fuse wire type fuse box and I have replaced this with the Wylex one. I have run a lighting system from this and also two security lights. I have two ring mains for the cabin, shed and garage. This cable was put in about 30 years ago and is impossible to replace so do you think the spark will refuse to fit this in the new box? Also will he pass the other systems after fitting the new box? I don’t quite know how it works because I read that no one will pass work that they didn't carry out.
Sorry to be long winded but it’s difficult to explain without a site visit.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, did your supplier 'fit' those pipe clamps to the cables?

To bring the system bang up to date I want one of the new fuse boxes to replace the two I have.
Ok. You will need RCD protection for any new sockets and unprotected cables fitted.

The cable from the fuse box runs to the log cabin, this went to an old fuse wire type fuse box and I have replaced this with the Wylex one. I have run a lighting system from this and also two security lights. I have two ring mains for the cabin, shed and garage. This cable was put in about 30 years ago and is impossible to replace so do you think the spark will refuse to fit this in the new box?
Not unless it is unfit for the intended use.

Also will he pass the other systems after fitting the new box? I don’t quite know how it works because I read that no one will pass work that they didn't carry out.
He will only 'certify' the work he does but then if it has been there that long it would not be certified, anyway.
However, he will/should test it all if fitting a new consumer unit.

it’s difficult to explain without a site visit.
Precisely. You should discuss it with the person who will do the work.

This cable was put in about 30 years ago and is impossible to replace ...
Nothing is impossible - but some things are difficult (which often translates to expensive!).
... so do you think the spark will refuse to fit this in the new box? Also will he pass the other systems after fitting the new box? I don’t quite know how it works because I read that no one will pass work that they didn't carry out.
An electrician should not 'sign for' the installation of something they haven't installed, but your electrician clearly did not install this cable. As part of replacing the CU, (s)he will (should) test all the existing circuits, and if that one tests OK, then there should theoretically be no problem. I'm not sure what the electrician would do if (s)he felt that there was something fundamentally wrong with the cable for its purpose - wrong size, wrong type, unacceptable route etc. If they felt it was dangerous, they would probably refuse to connect it to the new CU, but if they just thought it was 'wrong' (but not immediately dangerous), I'm not sure what they would do. You would need to discuss this, as well as everything else you mention, with your electrician.

Kind Regards, John

That is an unusual way to connect the TNS earth - must be a new method the DNO's are using.
The answer to the main question you raise is, it will pass if it meets with the conditions of Approved document Part P of the Building Regulations, the requirements of BS7671 - and as part of that the readings from your R1+R2, IR, ELI etc.
Do your reading meet with those outlined in BS7671?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies….
Firstly, did your supplier 'fit' those pipe clamps to the cables? No (I did)

He will only 'certify' the work he does but then if it has been there that long it would not be certified, anyway.
However, he will/should test it all if fitting a new consumer unit. Brilliant, that’s what I wanted to know.

Precisely. You should discuss it with the person who will do the work. I am going to fit two down lights in my hallway before I get a price for the rest of the work. I have four lighting systems so he will be able to work away with only the kitchen, hall and bathroom lights off. Easy work because it’s a bungalow with a walkway decked out in the loft, everything is visible. I have employed two electricians in the past, both now dead so can’t ask them back.

Nothing is impossible. Quite, but this cable runs under my lounge floor, under the spare (junk) room, under a patio and under some decking.

but your electrician clearly did not install this cable. A qualified electrician ran this cable to my log cabin but used a fuse wire type box. I replaced it with the Wylex.

That is an unusual way to connect the TNS earth. Been there from the new build, the spark changed the bolt and added the new earth from the other box. I watched him test the system and he said everything was OK.

The answer to the main question you raise is, it will pass if it meets with the conditions of Approved document Part P of the Building Regulations, the requirements of BS7671 - and as part of that the readings from your R1+R2, IR, ELI etc.
Do your readings meet with those outlined in BS7671? Woeee, being disabled I struggle a bit, I can run cables and fit sockets but that’s as far as it goes. I used a spark to sort out some heaters in a house I rent out, he is newly qualified and I intend giving him a call when I am ready. Just thought I would ask you first so no big surprises. Thank you all once again for your help, I will post the progress on here. Regards…eye

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back