will new boiler be too low?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, had national co. in to give a quote for boiler replacement, not BG,
Old boiler, Spacesaver 38 mk1(vented) with square balanced flue on outside wall.
looking at Worcester system 12.
I asked the surveyor if they would drill a new hole for the flue and he said , no, just adjust existing flue hole.
bearing in mind the WB flue comes out from the top of the boiler I think that the new boiler would be too low, any thoughts?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say as you've not said where it's going or provided any pictures. This is a common issue with big national installation companies however - they do the least amount of work in the shortest possible time to keep prices low and profits high. Better to use a reputable local installer who actually cares about such things

Thanks, boiler in kitchen 2nd floor up, outside pic top flat, I get your point about keep prices low, profits high, they were also charging for scaffolding but then not bothering to cut a new flue hole

Attachments

• IMG_20190803_113552342.jpg
    IMG_20190803_113552342.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20190804_084426736.jpg
    IMG_20190804_084426736.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 134
Thanks, boiler in kitchen 2nd floor up, outside pic top flat, I get your point about keep prices low, profits high, they were also charging for scaffolding but then not bothering to cut a new flue hole
My boiler is fitted in the loft about 12” off the floor so I can’t see how yours would be too low. I had the same problem with BG. They were using the same flue hole but wanted a standard charge of £600 for either scaffolding or tower just to slip a trim ring on. In the end, I got an independent who not only supplied me a higher grade/higher output Vaillant boiler than BG we’re going to supply for a cheaper price, but did the whole changeover for £600 labour - including slipping the flue trim on, took them all of 5 minutes at the top of a ladder.

Sponsored Links
Well I still can't say whether the new one would be too low or not because I can't see what's below the existing one.

Sorry, bad pic, the old boiler is about 15" above kitchen worktop, the new one would be just a few inches from worktop

That's a good idea but the WB 12i can take 15m gas feed, don't think there are that many boilers 12kw, most seem to start at 15, then possibly have to upgrade piping to 22m.

We had a similar situation - new flue above old one, old hole was bricked up to match brickwork. Your problem is being on the third floor.
Have the two flats below yours had their boilers replaced ? Strange square white patches on the wall ?

That's a good idea but the WB 12i can take 15m gas feed, don't think there are that many boilers 12kw, most seem to start at 15, then possibly have to upgrade piping to 22m.
My Vaillant Ecotec Plus 418 18Kw (they also do a 15kw and 12kw) heat only boiler has a 15mm gas feed and has a rear flue. In fact when I mentioned about using the existing flue hole to the BG salesman, he said it would have to be a Vaillant then as they had rear exiting flue options. The Vaillant, even my 18kw, can be set to run at whatever maximum output you want, down to about 6kw I think.

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/for-installers/products/ecotec-plus-412-415-418-424-430-and-435-3328.html

Vaillant a good option but they have a lousy after sales service, at least, compared with WB

Not banging the drum for Vaillant but to have a good after sales service implies they may need one after the sale. Perhaps Vaillant don’t need much of an after sales service?

Ok, that's a good point but just not that keen on a company that asks for card details before even sending someone out and I think that's under warranty as well

That's not how it works. Gas pipes are sized based on the maximum output of the appliance, the length of the run, and the number of elbows. If a 15mm pipe is sufficient for one 12kW appliance, it is sufficient for all 12kW appliances. If it's too small for one, it's too small for all. The appliance manufacturer has no bearing on the size of pipe that can be used.

cut a sheet of ply the same size as the boiler, then fix the new boiler to that sheet, cut a new flue hole above the existing one, then brick it up from outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back