New Grant Boiler - cant be fitted in utility room????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

my "Plumber" says that it is not possible to fit a new condensing boiler in my utility room as i need a drain outlet and it would be too expensive also to fit the new flue?

the present boiler is 3 inches away from a washing machine drain (which goes into a private cesspit) and the flue is more or less directly above the boiler eg slight kink in pipe,

can anyone tell me what he might mean cos i dont understand it?

he says i should put it in the garage so i can have a balanced flue but i dont want to waste all the heat that a boiler gives off (well our present one does anyway)

all replies will be appreciated.

thenks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Get a second opinion from from at least 2 other installers you are normally better of with small local Corgi registered installers look in yellow pages and do not tell them what this guy has said just ask for a quote to fit the boiler where you want it and see what they have to say.
personally I cannot see why you cant fit it there there has to be a waste outlet for the machine to use

If you intend fitting a Grant oil boiler you need to contact an OFTEC registered installer, not Corgi.

The flue on an oil boiler (like gas boiler) is classed as part of the appliance, thus needs to be installed to manufacturers instructions/designs.
My guess is that your plumber might be correct in moving the boiler to suit the fluing arrangments not the condense waste first!
The condense waste can be pumped from anywhere using an automatic pump. The fluing gets priority over condense.
Your present boiler gives off lots of waste heat because its of an old design, when nobody really cared about waste heat when designing boilers.
The flue would use expensive stainless steel which is very costly for long runs. Better to run 22mm copper pipe from garage than 12ft of flue.
Trust me I'm a doctor! ;)

Make sure he is registered with OFTEC or another body like NAPIT (like me)?http://www.oftec.co.uk/
Its the regulations now that he MUST BE!

Sponsored Links
It may be costly for a tall vertical balanced flue but they work very well and all the flue products are dispersed at roof level instead of in your garden/alley/patio or wherever at low level.
Having said that a boiler in your garage has advantages in that there is no oil in the house and the service engineer has a slightly easier time as its not so critical to keep everwhere spotless.
Get another installer to have a look. STIX.

As said above your new boiler will require a new flue as all boilers must now be condensing which require a differant flue design. Also your new boiler will be far more energy efficient so little heat will be lost via the casing.

From what you have said the existing boiler is a conventional flue which enters the chimney stack (eg the slight kink) or go's up the side of the house externally? The new boiler would not be able to use the chimney route.

Not sure on the reg's of running condense into private cess pit as the water is slightly acidic and may kill the bacteria etc which help break down the waste. Alternatively if that is the case a soakaway can be fitted into the ground outside the property.
Sam

Er, Grant boilers can go up the chimney route. They even do a balanced flue liner option for chimneys on smaller models.

The gas boys are still catching up.

I didn't realise grant made this option. I know worcester do a balanced flue liner for condensing boilers but thought this was only designed for boilers sited in the catchment space of a chimney opening.

Apoligises for mis-infomation :eek:

Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back