Background heating for cold utility room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had the old gas boiler replaced with a condensing boiler and as expected the utility room feels cooler thanks to the greater efficiency of the new boiler.

The utility room gets used for drying clothes, especially in winter when it's too wet to hang them out on the line. We would like a source of background heat in the room to help with the drying and because there is a child's bedroom above and the rooms are in an extension off the main house and both do get cold in winter.

We have rewired this year and got a spur put in near the floor level for a possible heated floor, but recently on here I read a post about the relative costs of electric under floor heating against traditional gas/water. An additional problem is that the utility has a solid concrete floor on Bison blocks and joists with a big cold void beneath, so any electric element woud need a good layer of insulation under, making the floor a lot higher than the adjacent kitchen.

The main F&R pipes from the boiler run down the wall and across making connection easy - eventually the utility room will be fitted out with kitchen units and I wondered if a small fan-assisted thermostat controlled rad in the kick boards would be a better idea than underfloor. This will only operate when the CH is on though, so the heat will be momentary and will not warm the room or the contents thoroughly.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The main F&R pipes from the boiler run down the wall and across making connection easy - eventually the utility room will be fitted out with kitchen units and I wondered if a small fan-assisted thermostat controlled rad in the kick boards would be a better idea than underfloor. This will only operate when the CH is on though, so the heat will be momentary and will not warm the room or the contents thoroughly.
If the radiator comes after the pump, i.e the pump is in the boiler, it should be possible. You could wire a separate thermostat in the utility room with a motorized valve to control the boiler and pump. The utility room would then be a separate heating zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back