WILL P.V.A WORK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have moved to canada and there is not much plastering over here. i am a plasterer but am unsure if there plaster over here will stick to the white plasterboard as they say and as iv seen they use a blue board (not the same as back home). but surely it will stick if i use a pva glue. please help. thanks

Sponsored Links
There should be a tech number on the bag of plaster, or a website to check. PVA will work, but I dare say there is no need if you check with manuf.

shows like holmes on homes (canadian) would have me beleive that these fellas are all about the tape and join. there is no benefit to PVAing when doing this as you want the first coat to go off and be drawn in so you can get the second and third on and then spend the rest of the month sanding.

lol john1. im watching that right now. you are right they do,do a lot of tape and joint and thats what iv been doing since iv been here as i could not find a plaster. but the other day i came across diamond veneer plaster (skim coat).but it says that you have to use a blue board so it sticks. i would not use pva for tape and mud as i hate doing that job and i would not want to be around it longer than i have to be. (I HATE SANDING). i was talking to my father in-law and he said that if there was any way i could skim coat over old tape and mud walls then he said there could be a good chance of making money :LOL: as its all tape and mud. but with tape and mud as it gets old you can start to see the joints. this is why i want to no if i PVA a old wall would the plaster stick. we do it back home so im pretty sure it would be fine. i just want to no what other people think. thanks for the replys so far. ugc make the product so i will give them a ring later

Sponsored Links
lol john1. im watching that right now. you are right they do,do a lot of tape and joint and thats what iv been doing since iv been here as i could not find a plaster. but the other day i came across diamond veneer plaster (skim coat).but it says that you have to use a blue board so it sticks. i would not use pva for tape and mud as i hate doing that job and i would not want to be around it longer than i have to be. (I HATE SANDING). i was talking to my father in-law and he said that if there was any way i could skim coat over old tape and mud walls then he said there could be a good chance of making money :LOL: as its all tape and mud. but with tape and mud as it gets old you can start to see the joints. this is why i want to no if i PVA a old wall would the plaster stick. we do it back home so im pretty sure it would be fine. i just want to no what other people think. thanks for the replys so far. ugc make the product so i will give them a ring later

Sorry, I thought you were asking if there was a type of finish designed to coat the unpainted boards directly.

PVA will be fine, as long as the substrate is sound. Coat day before to seal, then plaster onto tacky coat of PVA. Maybe check the spec on the container for the dilutions .

i spoke to cgc(same company) today and they said it would be fine to pva (white glue they call it over here) the walls but they dont garente it. what gets me is they say that you should plaster on to blue boards over here surely the white boards and there veneer plaster (seems the same as multi finish) can't be much differant than back home in england. do you think there just saying this to make money because a normal white 4x8 plaster board is $15 and a 4x8 blue board is $24

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back