Will Plaster stick to a Paxeline board ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive used a very thin sheet of paxeline board on a wall, now it needs plastering over before i do some tiling, it needs covering in about 3-4mm plaster

Now silly me ive only just realised being the material that it is will the plaster actually stick to it ?

if not, is ther ea product or anyhting i can spray,paint or smear onto it to allow plaster to stick to it

Your help much appreciated

Lee

Sponsored Links
Lee,
Paxeline board is a new one to me. If as you say it is "very thin" and you wondered whether plaster will stick to it before you put tiles onto it, leaves me wondering if it would be strong enough for the overall job. With plasterboard, at least you would have a guaranteed substrate for fixing the tiles onto, but with "very thin" Paxeline board of which I know nothing, apart from what you've said, it sounds as if it might be a bit flimsy......Anybody else????

Roughcaster.

its thin but secured very well to the wall, theres no way it would come off, its jsut if the plaster would stick to it ? or if theres somthing i can put onto it first to ensure plaster sticks

if you could give me any advice on what to do next that would be great, my dads over either tonight from 4pm to plaster that entire wall, but if you give me a solution i could perhaps delat it a few hours or delay it till tommorow evening

Sponsored Links
I don’t know what Paxeline board is either, it looks as if it might be bitumastic but then there are what I assume to be all those fixings! I wouldn’t fancy the chances of a plaster skim staying intact over that lot for 5 minutes, if it will stick in the first place! I reakon your best bet would be to dot & dab some plasterboard over the whole wall & skim that. WTF is that under there anyway & what’s with the lights?

Yep, i'd agree with Richard C, plasterboard the whole wall, for all it would take. You'd get a far better job out of it, and no worries about plaster/tiles sticking to it. It wouldn't delay the job by much, your Dad would probably give you a hand anyway.

Roughcaster.

Paxeline is very similar to Bakelite and is/was used a lot in various electrical appliances. It has a very shiny surface and is very hard, hence I doubt plaster would stick.

Out of interest, what is it covering?

Cheers for that info Gary. If it's that type of material,(Bakelite) then I definitely would not plaster over it.!!!! :(

Roughcaster.

cheers guys thats the other word for it i could not think of it bakelite. i had a sheet of it on my van so thought it would be ok, as it is a strong material.

its covering 2 flexible hot/cold pipes that run upto the shower mixer tap mounted on the wall. behind that it has the 2 channels cut out and the pipes in the channels.

what lights lol

what lights lol
It looked like the power feeders for some sort of monster 2000W audio system, the flashing lights telling you when it was about to blow. I can see it all clearly now; I'm sure there was a geek film with something like that in it once!

It’s a process of sticking sheets of plasterboard (over boarding) to a wall; take a bag of Gyproc Dry wall adhesive, mix it with water, put dabs of adhesive over the wall & stick a sheet of plasterboard (cut to size) to it; it sticks pretty quickly. However, now I know it’s a shower, I would advise you use Aquapanel rather than plasterboard; using p board in a shower is not a good idea as it disintegrates if it gets wet. Aquapanel is quiet heavy & has to be screwed to the wall rather than just relying on adhesive. You can tile directly onto the Aquapanel though but you may have to space out that mixer plate to accommodate the thickness of the panel & the tiles.

unfortunately would not be able put another board over all that as im limited for the bath to actually fit in the gap between that wall and the waste wall.

My dad came over whe ni was out and jsut plastered straight over it before i had chance to tell him about what you guys said.

What ive decided to do is wait to see how it fully drys to see how it is, but to be honest id put a 99% chance on that been ok, it feels so strong and the plaster has stuck to it no problem, i have tried chipping off plaster arounfd the bottomm part that wont be seen under the bath and its truely stuck to the board.

pic attached, obvioulsy not propperly dry yet as you can see alongside the wall to the left previously plastered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back