What kind of plaster to cover this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
946451AE-0697-4FF7-BA82-F385218F5D9C.jpeg
I need to plaster this part of the wall

Originally there was a duct that has been removed, the hole filled with cement (I think) and then plastered, but the plasterer left it sticking out by about 1 cm at the bottom and it would have made fitting the skirting board very tricky (also considering I’ll have to fit an architrave at the frame visible on the right)

So I grinded and removed the excess material and the surface is now between 5-10 mm shy of the door frame, there is a mix of materials to cover: old and new plaster, wood, cement

Is it ok to PVA (3 part water, 1 PVA?), put some scrim tape over the wood and then using British Gypsum Multifinish? Or do I need a different product?

Sponsored Links
yes neat pva with a brush , give it an hour or two to soak in and go tacky then multifinish .
dont scrim over the wood.
i’m assuming your feathering in not doing the whole wall?

yes neat pva with a brush , give it an hour or two to soak in and go tacky then multifinish .
dont scrim over the wood.
i’m assuming your feathering in not doing the whole wall?

Yes, I’m feathering in

I asked about the wood because I heard it could absorb moisture from the plaster and make it crack within 2-3 days; I also found the plasterer had used some kind of mesh there

By the way, I have an opened full bag of multifinish (best before Nov 2019); is it still ok to use it for this small job?

Yes, I’m feathering in

I asked about the wood because I heard it could absorb moisture from the plaster and make it crack within 2-3 days; I also found the plasterer had used some kind of mesh there

By the way, I have an opened full bag of multifinish (best before Nov 2019); is it still ok to use it for this small job?
try it but youll need to be quick.
itll only dry out too quick if you dont control the suction with pva.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I applied a coat of Multifinish (it didn't dry too quick); now I think I need to fill some imperfections for which I feel I could use Easyfill; can I do that after a few hours or do I need to wait for the plaster to be completely dry?

Ok, I didn’t go over with easyfill but just sanded, then 2 coats of primer and then 2 coats of paint

I can see where the new painted plaster joins the existing paint; I had the same problem when I did a touch up on a ceiling (although that time it was filler, not plaster)
Before painting it looks and feel fine, but after painting it shows up

D99752A8-86A9-4877-9E69-87394CD079B6.jpeg
4D0BD85B-04B8-4E5C-B089-BC04507EF9CC.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back