Plastering up a doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i had this advice:

'First, remove the original timber door frame as plaster won’t stick to wood'

thanks

Does this mean the whole inner part as well, I removed the outside skirting and the door batten on the inner frame, then inner frame is very slightly not flush with the existing wall plaster , it is about 3mm in from the existing plaster

Could I get away with just, leave the inner frame and using it as base to fix the batten to in order to stud out the wall?

Sponsored Links
Hi , i had this advice:
'First, remove the original timber door frame as plaster won’t stick to wood'
Good advice.
Does this mean the whole inner part as well, I removed the outside skirting and the door batten on the inner frame, then inner frame is very slightly not flush with the existing wall plaster , it is about 3mm in from the existing plaster
The “skirting” as you call it is actually the architrave &, yes, you will also have to remove the timber door lining. It should come off fairly easily, remove the door jamb first to check it’s held on with nails & not screws; if it’s nails, just jemmy it away from the wall starting at the bottom.
Could I get away with just, leave the inner frame and using it as base to fix the batten to in order to stud out the wall?
No, any plaster you out on it will just crack & look awful & will probably fall off. You will need to set the stud back from the face of the wall to allow for the thickness of the plasterboard; exactly how much depends on weather you are just going to skim the boarded up opening or having the whole wall plastered; I would advise re-skimming the whole wall as it’s the only way to guarantee you won’t see the join. You should break the edge of the original plaster away around the door opening to give a jagged edge providing a key for the new plaster & the join must be reinforced or it will almost certainly crack when it dries out.

Thanks Richard again,
You must be a pro, by your advice.

Forgive me 4 not knowing the terminology, never done it before.

im a DIYer, AS400 2e Analyst / Programmer by profession, but have a tradesmans upbringing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back