Will the MK Grid Plus system work in plastic drywall bkboxs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got to fix 4 fuses in a double gang drywall backbox.

The fuses will protect 2x 13A ovens, 5A microwave, and 1A extractor fan.

The only way I can see of doing this is to use the MK grid plus system, and use 4x fuse holders.

I know you have to buy a 'frame' to go with the MK front panel, but can this system be used with a standard plastic drywall backbox?

MK seem to do their own metal clad backbox, but it doesn't appear to be that different from any other backbox.

Has anyone tried this or know of an alternative.

I don't want 4x 1Gang fused plates on the wall if I can help it. Looks ugly.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
The mk metal grid box has 4 indents for the frame to seat on.
You can use plastic or dry lining boxes but may take a little longer to adjust to get the right fit between the cover and the frame.
You will also need to Earth the metal Grid frame

It wont work with out alot of hastle on a drylining plastic box.

It will work fine with a standard galv box flushed in the wall.

The side tabs are meant to sit just flush of the wall finish.

The metal boxes MK do are more for surface mounting - They are powder coated, not galvanised.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can.

Here's one I fitted into a drywall at home.

http://127.0.0.1:7633/service/home/~/?auth=co&id=f50fdecf-e2bc-4f8f-9542-eb55f3cd8b9e:1561&part=1.2

Sorry. Scrap that. I'm finding my way round Win 7.....

MKGridswitch.jpg

Everyone has seemingly missed the obvious here, the OP wants to use two of the fuse modules for his two 13A Ovens, Where would the isolation switch for these ovens be located as i am fairly sure the manafacturers instructions (which for information overrule the wiring regulations) will state that an isolation switch with a minimum of 3mm clearance must be installed .In the event of any problems with the oven your warranty may well be voided by the incorrect installation.

Nick

Surely he plans to plug them in, as per
Why do you want to fit fuses in the back box that will be in series with the appliance plug top fuses?
?

I wondered exactly the same thing, because surely nobody would be idiotic enough to think it was OK for them to do electrical installation work like this if they didn't know enough to know that they needed a way to isolate the appliances?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back