Will this chime/setup work without modification for a ring doorbell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m a total beginner when it comes to anything wiring related but giving this a try! Basically I was wondering from the below pictures if my ring doorbell (2nd gen) would work with my existing setup? I’d like to hardwire it and use a mechanical chime so that if the wifi goes down everything still works.

IMG-20220522-093712-2.jpg

IMG-20220522-093931-2.jpg

IMG-20220522-093952-2.jpg

From the above pictures it looks like the black box near the RCD is a Friedland 752 transformer but I'm not sure if I would need to replace this and the chime?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
That transformer will probably work with a Ring doorbell.
Whether the existing chime does depends on which of the many versions of Ring you get, which version of the software it's using and whether that particular chime is compatible with it.
Some can theoretically control an existing old chime. Others don't have that capability at all and require the nonsense of installing a 'bypass connector' which leaves the existing chime in place but not connected.

The summary of a long and tiresome story is that if you want a Ring doorbell to work as described, you remove all existing wiring, chimes, transformers and anything else. Forget about using it with any existing equipment.
You then buy and install the Ring doorbell, the Ring power supply, and optionally the plug in chime unit. The end.

Ah that's unfortunate - I guess the two reasons for using the existing setup/chime is that a) my wifi can be flaky and b) if ring decides to one day stop supporting the device (which they will) then I'm not locked into upgrading.

That transformer will probably work with a Ring doorbell.
Whether the existing chime does depends on which of the many versions of Ring you get, which version of the software it's using and whether that particular chime is compatible with it.
Some can theoretically control an existing old chime. Others don't have that capability at all and require the nonsense of installing a 'bypass connector' which leaves the existing chime in place but not connected.

The summary of a long and tiresome story is that if you want a Ring doorbell to work as described, you remove all existing wiring, chimes, transformers and anything else. Forget about using it with any existing equipment.
You then buy and install the Ring doorbell, the Ring power supply, and optionally the plug in chime unit. The end.
Very well said.

In my limited experience of trying to fit existing doorbells with ring doorbells, you can match up the correct transformer to serve both, if you are lucky it may work for a bit, but ultimately it doesn't seem to work.

A waste of time.

As far as UK stuff goes, Ring don't really promote their products with existing doorbells or even new doorbells made by someone else.

They don't offer much advice or details on how to do this (UK at least).

More annoyingly, they don't make their own wired chime that you can use as a direct replacement (AFAIK).

As much as I hate the idea, the 'best' way is to obtain a long lead with the transformer built into the plug to power the Ring unit. These don't ever seem to come with the Ring kit. I believe Ring do make them, but often it's just as well to buy one of vast number of Chinese ones available on E Bay.

You could consider keeping your existing doorbell in place, as well as having the Ring doorbell, and have them independent of each other. Far from ideal, and it shouldn't have to be this way, but personally I have found trying to do it your desired way to be a complete drama.

Ring need to get real and think about their UK customers who want to connect their Ring doorbell to their existing one.

(There are some people on YouTube who have claimed to conquer this problem - but the general shoddiness of their work and some of their crazy logic does leave me doubtful.)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back