Will this waste run work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Thanks for your time.

Please find attatched my terrible paint drawing explaining the potential waste run I plan to take to drain away two sink basins. I plan to use 40mm selvent weld.

So there are two basins to be installed, one up stairs in the bathroom, the other downstairs in the soon to be utility. I plan on running the waste vertical from the bathroom basin with an air admittance valve to stop the traps getting pulled out. This run will connect up with the downstairs waste and leave via the toiler soil pipe via a boss strap fitting. I will put an access piece half way along the run for just incase anything does go wrong.

Obviously all the pipe downstairs is going to be on show but with it being a utility room I'm not overly concerned but I cant think of another way of doing it really.

So apart from the aesthetic point of view and so long as the falls are correct will it work?

Thanks, any guidance or approval appreciated.

Attachments

• WASTERUN.jpg
    WASTERUN.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Fit an anti vac trap to the utility room basin (y) and yes it will work. I have just taken a similar setup out to re model my son's bathroom- odd but functional- the waste, not son.;)

Thank for the reply Nige. :LOL:

Wasnt aware about anti vac traps they do these in bottle form as well which is great with limited space. If I fit this to the downstairs utility room basin can I do away with the AAV I planned to install in the upstairs bathroom? Would removing that mean I then require an anti vac trap in the upstairs bathroom or just a normal bottle trap? The prices are very similar so its not a problem either way.

It'll work but it's not usual to run vertical drops in waste that size!
Normally you run slightly downhill to a 4" 'stack'.
Put an antivac on both if you have to buy two traps anyway and then you've covered belt and braces.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply dilalio.

Its not an ideal situation Im aware however my bathroom is finished lovely and if I can avoid any pipe runs on show in the bathroom I'd like to which is why Im running it vertical through the floor into the utility room below where Im less concerned about pipes showing. I have the ceiling down in the utility room at the moment so Im trying to cover as many bases before I reboard ha.

Can I do away with the AAV if running two anti vac traps?

One more question folks. The actual basin wastes are only 32mm (I plan to run 40mm else where to encourage flow). As traps are compression only am I right in thinking if I buy a 32mm anti syphon bottle trap and then a 32mm to 40mm solvent weld reducer, a small run of 32mm will be for the compression and then I can solvent weld 40mm from there on out, sound okay?

The antivacs will be fine.
40mm waste reduced to 32mm solvent welded for the basin feeds is fine - make the trap connections the only compression joints.
It might be worth avoiding running the vertical drop in one long length (offset it with a couple of 90 degree elbows where it goes into the floor/ceiling) otherwise it will probably make a racket when emptying the upstairs basin! It will sound like belching as you release the plug/clicka as the water will freefall inside the waste pipe for the 10-12 foot drop!

With the aav It'll be quiet so put that on too - or not and blame the pipes for belching when you're in the bathroom (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back