Shower + Sink Waste - Quick Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to put a Shower and a hand basin in, just off a bedroom.

I can't get the waste to the stack, so I was just going to do a run of 40mm waste from the shower which the 32mm waste from the sink will tee into, the 40mm will then run along the wall, through to outside and down then it will go into a drain, currently a downstairs hand basin goes into the drain.

Does that all sound OK? is there a max run for 40mm shower waste?

Anything else to consider?

Sponsored Links
Just been reading up on it and I'm not sure if it can be done that way.

The first bit I read said it MUST go into the stack,

I've then done more reading and that said it can't go into a rainwater drain, but it can go into a regular drain.

How do I know if it's a rainwater drain? It doesn't have any guttering going into it and it's fairly sheltered, it's looks like a double width drain, half of it is concrete with the downstairs sink waste going just through the concrete, the other half has a grid over it with the outside tap above it. There is an identical one round the corner with the Kitchen waste going into the concrete.

Are these drains OK to take shower waste??

I've found the max pipe run is 3m which is fine.

sotal said:
Just been reading up on it and I'm not sure if it can be done that way.

The first bit I read said it MUST go into the stack,

I've then done more reading and that said it can't go into a rainwater drain, but it can go into a regular drain.

How do I know if it's a rainwater drain? .

Does the drain and the stack go under the same manhole? If so you're OK.

Doesn't the shower waste have to be kept seperate from the hand basin :?:

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Doesn't the shower waste have to be kept seperate from the hand basin :?:
not AFAIK :confused: and you can use HepV.O waste valves to prevent backflow into shower :idea: Bidet waste must be treated as soil pipe :mad:

Thanks for the replies,

I'm sorted now - all is OK and will be dead easy, no chance of basin filling the shower - so I'll stick with a regular trap rather than one of them one way valve ones.

Thanks again

I always stick a hep on just to be on the safe side, nothing worse than letting a full basin out and a load of smelly hairs coming back into your shower.

and the run should be fine providing the gradient is kept

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back