Will This Work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I want lights at the front and side of my house to activate from two seperate PIR sensors.
So when the front is approached the front and side lights come on via the front mounted sensor and when you leave via the side door the side and front lights come on via the side sensor.
The mains feed would go to the front sensor then from that sensor to front light.
Then another cable from the front sensor to the side sensor then to the side light.
Hmmm, as I'm typing I'm thinking only the side light would come on when leaving via the side door??
I'm not mad, honest.
Thoughts?
Ta.

Sponsored Links
That can be made to work. Join the swirched lives from the two PIRs together. You need 3-core+earth for some of the wiring.

Take your L&N feed into the front PIR. Attach also a three core and earth cable: one to L, one to N and the third to the switched output of the PIR. Don't forget to join the earth wires together for continuity.

This cable you can then take to all of the fittings (both light fittings and the other PIR). The only difference is how you connect up the cores.

In the light fittings you just connect switched live, neutral and earth. In the other PIR, you will connect L, N & SW L.

If you connect L & N to the light fittings, they will stay on 24/7.

The selection of PIR is important, many do not mind if there is line at the output, and are large enough to power two lamps, but not all, those with magnetic relays are normally OK those with solid state relays may not be suitable.

So read the instructions first, but you can do nearly anything if you select the correct equipment. Also some wireless options see this remote as an example your post has helped me, I had forgotten about some options for a job I have.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
Sorry for the delay answering I didn't get notification of replies even though I have the option ticked?
May yet just put a light with it's own sensor by the side door and connect it to the front sensor as per above suggestions.
Another question if I may.
I have two display cabinets, one in each corner up one end of the room.
They have 30w max spot light fittings in them.
The cable is 2 core 0.75mm (I think).
I have a socket near one cabinet so want to run a cable from the other under the skirting.
Can I wire both to one plug as it will be 60w only in total or is it best to shove a trailing socket under the cabinet?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back