Will Willow Weep?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move a Kilmarnock Willow. It's well established, about ten years old. How can I move it to my Aunties garden without killing it off?

Thanks
Bongo :cool:

Sponsored Links
Not sure if Will willow weep but know that fuschias flower fantastically ;) .
General rule is dig up and match the head (by pruning ) to the amount of root ball you've managed to retain, willows are quite robust

Thanks a million.
I anticipate a little willow wilt but no weeping! My aunty Anne should also be 'appy, I 'ope! :p

Bongo said:
I want to move a Kilmarnock Willow. It's well established, about ten years old. How can I move it to my Aunties garden without killing it off?

Thanks
Bongo :cool:

Best to move it in winter when still 'dormant' as bare root, however you could sill move it now, be quick though, as it will be in bud soon, depending where you live/weather. Leave it too late and you'll have to take it with a ball of soil.

Sponsored Links
Good tip.
Still a bit chilly up-north so it's not yet in bud! Will move manana (unless there's an unexpected heatwave! If there is I'll be down the beach!)
Thanks for your reply :LOL:

I don't want to put a downer on it but I doubt it will move.

Willow likes water and unless you provide the extra it will need to survive such a move it will slowly die back.

However, it should be very easy to take and establish cuttings and the success rate is normally extremely good.

I would suggest you try a few first before you move and risk losing the entire tree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back