Win 11 update and drivers..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not really looking for answers to this, just simply documenting it...

My laptop (HP Pavilion) came with W10, but claimed originally it couldn't update to W11. Three months ago, it changed its mind and decided it could update, so I let it do it - since when it's been rather problematic....

In use, it would gradually become slower and slower, until a reboot brought the speed back to normal. A few weeks ago, the normally good volume from the speakers, even at 100% became just a barely audible whisper. Yesterday I noticed some new HP drivers for audio and the display were available, so I let it install them. My volume is now back to normal, and the gradual slowdown until I reboot, is no more.

I still do have several issues, like Windows Store not working, but things are definitely getting better..

Sponsored Links
I keep receiving 'adverts' from MS assuring me that my laptop is perfectly suitable for the installation of W11.
Having read this and other examples of how things go wrong, I have been ignoring MS's 'help'.
I'm sure I'm not alone!

I keep receiving 'adverts' from MS assuring me that my laptop is perfectly suitable for the installation of W11.
Having read this and other examples of how things go wrong, I have been ignoring MS's 'help'.
I'm sure I'm not alone!
I blocked MS a few years ago. Haven't had problems since.

Why people update to the next OS before the many thousands of bugs have been addressed is beyond me.

Sponsored Links
Why people update to the next OS before the many thousands of bugs have been addressed is beyond me.
I agree. Not only have I been denying their invitations to 'update' to W11, I routinely avoid Windows Updates (by setting my active times as between 0800 and 0200, and telling them that I'm on a metered connection).

Regardless of that, I do allow a WU after their offers have been ignored for a few weeks, to hopefully make sure they have corrected the cock-ups which came with the update!

One more thing I have noticed - I have a web cam, to keep an eye on the dog at the gates. Before, after a while using Win11, every few seconds the picture would freeze for a few seconds at a time. That is no longer happening.

For anyone who wants to install Windows11 with a machine that won't let you (due to TLS and SecureBoot), there is a way round that using a Windows ISO and then using Rufus to create a bootable USB stick for the installation.

Back