Window 98se start up problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5-year old Dell pc, with little pc tech. knowledge. 3 days ago I connected a Umax Astra 610s scaner given by a friend and since then the pc opens in Safe mode majority of the times.

The problem persists even after deleting the programmes from the 'programmes menu' as this does not appear in the 'add/remove' menu.

Sometimes the start up menu appears and after selecting Normal mode, it open in safe mode.
Sometimes the message 'C: windows\system\Umm32rxd:missing or unable to read ' , appears and the pc shuts off after a few seconds if I do not 'press any key' command which appears with it.

I also tried to follow article 306615 (The computer always starts in safe mode) in the microsoft windows website (when ever the windows open in normal mode),but the problem persists. :(

Could someone please help. Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
You will probably have to manually edit the registry to remove the driver. I can do this remotely if you can boot the machine and access the Internet. Email me (address in profile) and i'll try and fix it for you.

I assume that you are using the Vistascan software that comes with your Umax scanner. There is a bug in that software. You can go to umax.com and read about the Tech Notes 7076 and download the patch. The vmm32.vxd error is caused by the old umaxis11.exe in your root directory. The patch software will replace it. Be sure you type in the correct directory where your old umaxis11.exe resides when installing the patch. The older Vistascan version 2.43 should work fine with the patch. However, there is a bug in the newer version 3.1. I would say stay away from it.

Igorian. I would like to go your route after exhausting other safe routes. How do I access your profile for the e-mail address. Thanks

Brutal. My version is 1.06- quite old I suppose. Nevertheless Umax.com has only a software for 610s to download for MS window 98se, not a patch. Should I go ahead and try this, despite its disclaimer warnings.

Sponsored Links
CURIOSITY said:
Igorian. I would like to go your route after exhausting other safe routes. How do I access your profile for the e-mail address. Thanks

Brutal. My version is 1.06- quite old I suppose. Nevertheless Umax.com has only a software for 610s to download for MS window 98se, not a patch. Should I go ahead and try this, despite its disclaimer warnings.

Well like any update to a driver it is always best to make a back up before going ahead. Like any hardware manufacture they will always put a disclaimer up. All i can say is backup and try it. If you were using XP then system restore would provide (to a certain level) an option to backup your system files.

Hi Brutal and Igorian,

Umax.com, 'more FAQ' had an 'easy and quick' method which I followed
and cleared the vmm.32 vxd problem. Thanks for your time. :LOL:

Back