Window beam/lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly apologies if this has been asked before, I’ve skimmed through the forum but couldn’t see a thread relating to this.

We’re in the process of having our 18c farmhouse renovated and currently having it repointed. The window lintels are very much in need or some moisture and probably haven’t been treated for 50+ years. I’d like to turn them black in colour, but obviously give them the treatment they need. Have you any recommendations on what to use?
I’ve attached a pic.
Thanks in advance

cat

Attachments

• 75D3980B-C492-4516-8385-E8B8695C1321.jpeg
    75D3980B-C492-4516-8385-E8B8695C1321.jpeg
    671.9 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
Boiled linseed oil will protect them and darken them to an extent, but it won't blacken them. In any case I have my doubts that any if these timber lintels were ever originally jet black - that's very much a 20th century take on colours (as is snowy white whitewash - many houses were painted in a combination of whitewash and a readily available, or free, colouring filler such as earth ochre or pigs blood)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back