window defrosting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there any "device" that can be plugged into cig lighter or hard wired that can come on and start to defrost the inside of the windscreen of the wifes car before i go out to do the outside? its a citroen C8 and in this kind of weather the ice is solid on the inside, cant seem to find a prob causing the ice to build up, no leaks etc but becvause the windscreen is so big and curved its a nightmare to scrape, and when the blower is on its like a snow scene when you scrape it

Sponsored Links
There is obvious dampness inside the car, make sure your ventilation is set to fresh air and not recirculated air, you might also consider a sheet of polythene placed over the screen trapped in position by closing the doors over the same.

Wotan

Turn off heating and open a window a couple of minutes before parking for the night.

I use a 1kW fan room heater on an extension lead from my garage. :)

At our previous house where this wasn't an option I used to take two bottles of water out with me. One at room temp and the other luke warm or a bit hotter. Pour the cool one over the windscreen then the hotter one. If you can put a bit of dishwasher fluid in the hotter one it dispels the water afterwards (or so a friend told me) so you don;t get a problem with refreezing (on theoutside).

Sponsored Links
sell it and get a ford,they have heated windscreens. :LOL:

luke warm water gently poured over windscreen.
my neighbour used to be the chauffeur for the queen and does this all the time.

fords are great saves alot of time, however i have an astra and have the same problems. Someone needs to invent a product that will clear the windscreen in a matter of seconds where you can sit in the warmth of your home or car while it gets to work :)

fords are great saves alot of time, however i have an astra and have the same problems. Someone needs to invent a product that will clear the windscreen in a matter of seconds where you can sit in the warmth of your home or car while it gets to work :)

Already out there, remote starting or block heaters

Fan heater in the car via hatchback which due to decent seals does not damage cable - take breakfast watching the ice melt from inside out - 20 mins 1 kW - She gets a warm car for 5p - result ?

-0-

sell it and get a ford,they have heated windscreens. :LOL:

luke warm water gently poured over windscreen.
Water @ body temp. from my bladder :idea: There`s no one to see me where I live on the Forest :mrgreen:

if the ice is really thick on the inside, you may have a water leak. Feel all the carpets carefully for damp, including the boot.

It's most often round the front, but I once had it from water running down the outside of the glass in a rear passenger door, past the rubber fin (which was worn) and down the inside of the door. There was a polythene sheet to prevent the water getting inside the car, and divert it to the drain holes in the bottom of the door, but it had been taken off by a person repairing a dent.

BTW, I presume you are blowing the humidity out of the car by using the "fresh air" and not the "recirc" setting on the heater blower?

I agree with Johnmelad, this is what I always do and it always works :)

if the ice is really thick on the inside, you may have a water leak. Feel all the carpets carefully for damp, including the boot.

It's most often round the front, but I once had it from water running down the outside of the glass in a rear passenger door, past the rubber fin (which was worn) and down the inside of the door. There was a polythene sheet to prevent the water getting inside the car, and divert it to the drain holes in the bottom of the door, but it had been taken off by a person repairing a dent.

BTW, I presume you are blowing the humidity out of the car by using the "fresh air" and not the "recirc" setting on the heater blower?

your on the money Jihn, it appears the rear screen washer was leaking, the hose is not off completely but the wife noticed it wasnt washing the window properly when we checked we realised the inside panel was wet, so when she has been washing the back window it would appear some water is escaping into the trim of the car, so hopefully that will be the end of that problem, cheers

Sponsored Links
Back