Window detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am extending my property which is to have external render finish
above the windows is a detail that as been done in render material.

I want to add the detail above the windows of the extension.

See below I have posted some pictures (hopefully) in the one picture I have cut through to show the section, its pretty clear that the whole thing is monolithic.

View media item 65153 View media item 65154 View media item 65155

Anyone any ideas if this detail as a name, or how its done!!
Cheers
Russell

Sponsored Links
looks like you could do it with a wooden mold..
youl need to take sizes and pics to help then try to make a mold that you can fix in place to the wall youll need good woodwork skills lol
before you fix the mold youl need to drill and fix wall ties for the new detail to tie into maybe cut line into the wall with a grinder
us a mold release or cooking oil on the wood to help take off the mold when dry....
keep all fixings/screws to the out side will make taking it apart easy if needed.

as for mix use 3 parts sharp sand and 1 part building sand & 1 part cement
mix well little wet trowel it into the mold wet the wall first work the mix well into the wall and around the mold float the top flush the top smooth

little trick with casting molds in-place or on a bench use a sander on the mold to vibrate the mix into place and help get the air bubbles out.

little tip is to pin in the bottom in side the mold say 1" back from the front a small rubber bead or round cable to form a water drip to stop water running back to the wall (damp)....

Its not hard just take your time and chill dont stress its a learning curve

A good way we do it now is to use polystyrene window moulding and coat it up with OCR and mesh job done...... easy as 123
1/cut and fix moulding to wall
2/first coat and mesh
3/2nd coat and finish as wanted

Find someone who does concrete fabrications and get them to come and measure up and pre-cast them for you, if you go down Skimmers route get a good carpenter in to make the moulds in situ then a good man in to cast it. You will have to use re-inforcing bars in it and I would either cast it with a dryish mix or pour it with concrete. You would have to put retaining bars built into the wall also..

Sponsored Links
if you do it with poly its easy and you can do it your self we have done loads in london or refit jobs cost half the price and half the time most the time you can fix and first coat and mesh the poly the same day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back